Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is it worth buying

This is a discussion on Is it worth buying within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; A DG934G (Sky one) off ebay? I've got a DG834GT, and am having an issue with it at the mo. ...

xjrjason is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01883
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is it worth buying

A DG934G (Sky one) off ebay?

I've got a DG834GT, and am having an issue with it at the mo.

Would Sky know I've upgraded, as it were?

If I buy, what would appear to be someone else's router, would it have been asigned to them, serial number/identifiying IP addy?

Any one know if this would cause any problems?

Thanks in advance Jason.

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Is it worth buying

To establish a broadband connection, a router needs to supply a username and password. Normally, the ISP would tell their customer what their ADSL username and password are, and these would be added to router's configuration by the customer.

With Sky, however, things are different. Every Sky router has its own unique username and password, so if you buy a router on eBay, you'll be effectively using the username and password that were assigned to the person you bought it from.

When people leave Sky, or if they are sent a replacement router, the old router's details are kept active on Sky's authentication servers, but as to how long Sky will continue to do that is anyone's guess. It seems likely that sooner or later, Sky will clamp down on this, and you could find yourself with a router which no longer works.

The best advice - and it's always the best advice - is to try and resolve the issue you have with the router that Sky supplied to you. So what exactly is the problem?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Having browsed over this site, using the search facilities, I've seen many of your replies/post. Very knowledgeable are the answers too.

So here goes

It would appear I have a compatibility problem with my Dell laptop and the DG834GT I have.

The two work perfectly in their own right, but if I try to get them to connect together wirelessly, the connection (5-8 seconds in time) gets dropped then it re-connects and repeat.

Link below as I posted originally in wireless/adapters.

A shot in the dark!

I'm assuming thats it new meet old technology and the two are just that little mismatched. Everyone on here has given ideas and things to try. But unfortunately up to now nothing has resolved the problem.

I've just bee trying to think laterally, and maybe wonderd if buying the 'newer' router DG934G would help. Or even (in another post) wonderd if it was possible to use a cable wireless router with one of the ethernet ports on the DG834GT. 'Piggy backing' another wireless network off the DG834GT? Is something like this possible?

Like I said, both tested and work fine by themselves, but put together just don't want to work.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

There's really no reason why this shouldn't work - backwards compatibility is a key part of wireless-n technology. The only thing I can think of is to switch the router's wireless mode to "g only" or "g and b" - anything other than the Auto 108Mbps setting, but the Dell guy in the other thread already suggested that.

The DG834GT has an Atheros-based mini-PCI card in it and that's an extremely common wireless networking device, so it really would be quite a surprise to see any kind of compatibility issue.

"Piggy backing" is definitely better than buying a router on eBay. If your laptop doesn't work with the DG834GT (with its incredibly ubiquitous components - Atheros wireless and Broadcom ADSL) then it stands a equally good chance of not working with other wireless-G routers. My gut is telling me that a compatibility problem seems very, very unlikely, and it's changing the configuration of either the router or the laptop that is going to solve this problem.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you for all taking the time to read my posts.

*Erm shuffles feet and looks sheepish*

It was the laptop settings causing the problems. After shutting down thw WZC, and firing up the onboard software. I found a whole bunch of other settings to play with.

I'm typing this via the wireless connection.

So all being well

Thanks again.

I will pop in from time to time to say Hi, and see if there's anything I can help with.

PS on a completely unrelated subject, theres a beep noise coming from something in my front room, so off for the next chalenge. Find the beep!

I will generally be testing things with a club hammer.