Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can a DG834GT be used with a WNR834B? (wireless cable router)

This is a discussion on Can a DG834GT be used with a WNR834B? (wireless cable router) within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; OK here goes, some of you may have seen my post 'A Shot in the Dark' in the wireless/adapter forum ...

xjrjason is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01883
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can a DG834GT be used with a WNR834B? (wireless cable router)

OK here goes, some of you may have seen my post 'A Shot in the Dark' in the wireless/adapter forum area.

As this question is more to do with the router, I thought it better to post here.

Does anyone know if a WNR834B (netgear wireless router for cable), plugged in to one of the ethernet ports on a my DG834GT would work and create another wireless network?

The problem I'm having would appear to be compatibility between my Dell laptop (with wireless 'n' quick thingy) and the Sky router DG834GT I have. In their own right both units work flawlessly. (IE laptop connects to other networks, and router allows other units/things to connect without fault)

Both work fine and behave properly when not asked to interact with each other wirelessly. As there are no official updates for the Sky router, I just wondered if creating a 'piggy back' wireless network was an option.

I'm happy to leave the original wireless network in place, and use the second one (hopefully created by the cable wireless adapter Netgear WNR834B, or any other brand you can suggest)

Just looking for some advise or a yes or no, type of reply.

Thanks in advance Jason.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Can a DG834GT be used with a WNR834B? (wireless cable router)

Although it is described in the heading as a Cable router, the specifications below seem to make it clear that it is either Cable or DSL.

As I understand it, there would be no problem using this if it is set up properly.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

xjrjason is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01883
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Can a DG834GT be used with a WNR834B? (wireless cable router)

Cable or DSL

That'll be that learning curve again. There's a difference?

From my understanding and my reading. The WRN834B is a wireless router that plugs into a router desgined for cable user without wireless capabilities. IE plug into an internet source (RJ45 output from modem/router, plug into the RJ45 input) and hey presto, you have the all singing all dancing wireless network. Thats faster than a fast thing, on a fast day, that only had 23 hours in it.

I'm wrong aren't I............