Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

SKY intermittent broad band connection

This is a discussion on SKY intermittent broad band connection within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I switch from Tiscali broadband to Sky yesterday and I was soon in trouble with not being able to connect ...

alankearn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: aston
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

SKY intermittent broad band connection

I switch from Tiscali broadband to Sky yesterday and I was soon in trouble with not being able to connect the Sky router to the broadband signal, previously I had no trouble with Tiscali router connection even though it was on a four metre long phone line extension from the master socket and although I know its not good practice to do this I thought the new Sky router would be OK with the same set up.The problem is it can take up an hour or more to get a broadband connection, when I do get connected it can be left on and its no problem till I switch the router off and then I have the big wait again. When I switch the router on all the proper lights come on then when I try to get on the Net all I get is "This page can not be found" then after the hour or so wait the lights on the router start to flicker like mad, at that time I know if I go back to my computerI will have my connection back. The Sky helpdesk told me to move the router next to the telephone master socket which I did, I also tried the test socket inside the master socket but it was no better. After all this I phoned Sky again and they said well it can take up to 10 days for the broadband signal to settle down and if its not OK in 10 days they would get an engineer to have a look.Last night the router was connected OK so I switch the computer off but left the router on and it was still connected OK this morning when I booted up the computer. The easy way out would be to leave the router on permanently but I would rather have it sorted properly.
      Any ideas what could be the problem because surely I should'nt have problems getting the 2MB free package option.

Thanks

PS. My set up is two computers hardwired (ethernet) to the router, I am only 700 yards from my Telephone exchange and when I am connected I am getting a large part (1761kbps) of the 2mb free broadband package I am on.
      Last edited by alankearn; 09-03-08 at 09:54 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: SKY intermittent broad band connection

As far as i am aware their is no 10 day training period for Base Mid or max. The router is designed to be left on permanetly and i suggest that you do this. You may wish to post some stats so we can have a look closer at what may be happening

Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky! How to get your router statistics

Devil_Spawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

routers are designed to be left on permanently

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Definately no 10 day rule for anything other than connect, whatever agent told you that was tryign to get you off the call. There is a 3 day grace period for base, mid and max. Once through that period CST can deal with the issue.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Pat View Post
      As far as i am aware their is no 10 day training period for Base Mid or max. The router is designed to be left on permanetly and i suggest that you do this. You may wish to post some stats so we can have a look closer at what may be happening

Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky! How to get your router statistics

Could you tell me what stats you need and how do I get them

Thanks

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

If you have the netgear V2 router try here

could you also change your profile to the correct router, at the moment it says V1 netgear which is a white one, if you have just got your router i would think you have the V2 netgear or the sagem F@st. it helps people to help you if you have the correct info up

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Pat View Post

When I wrote intermittent connection it was the wrong discription I should have said when I turn the Netgear V2 router off then turn it on the next day it takes a long time (sometimes over a hour) to connect the computer to the internet.

Hope these stats links come up OK

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...arn/stats2.gif

thanks
      Last edited by richone54; 09-03-08 at 01:45 PM. Reason: deleted second pic as not needed

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

i removed your second pic (do not need to show all info and could leave you open to alsorts)

as to you problem, you could fix it by not switching the router off, the routers are made to be left on anyway (there is anoher thread today talking about this, very low power usage and will not realy cost anything over the year)

your stats look fine and i can see no reason why it takes so long to get connection
      Last edited by richone54; 09-03-08 at 03:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richone54 View Post
      i removed your second pic (do not need to show all info and could leave you open to alsorts)

as to you problem, you could fix it by not switching the router off, the routers are made to be left on anyway (there is anoher thread today talking about this, very low power usage and will not realy cost anything over the year)

your stats look fine and i can see no reason why it takes so long to get connection

Thanks for taking precautions for me in removing the photo link

Alan