Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New router = weak wireless!

This is a discussion on New router = weak wireless! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I got my new router (the black one) from sky about 2 weeks ago and now the internet is stable ...

cwinhall is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky 16mb BB/Sky TV/Sky Phone
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

New router = weak wireless!

I got my new router (the black one) from sky about 2 weeks ago and now the internet is stable (not random cutouts), BUT, the wireless really really sucks! I barely get 1 bar signal a few meters from router, and constanly losing it altogether. When plugged in via ethernet the connection is fine (althought incredibly slow).

Any ideas the model of this netgear router? Or how to fix this wireless issue?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: New router = weak wireless!

Have you tried changing the Channel on the router?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

A few other members had this problem. Changing the channel on the router seemed to have done that job...

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Its model number is DG934G (or so it says on the box it came in). It's a similar design to the Netgear DG834 or DG834G routers (but nothing like the DG834GT). The internal aerial looks a bit titchy, to be honest, plus the way it is soldered to the PCB (the board that the electronics of the router are soldered to) might result in the signal being partially blocked in one direction.

The PCB in the Netgear DG934G is mounted "upside down" so the wireless signal radiates best from the side of the router that has the big Sky Broadband label on it. It's probably a good idea to have this router standing vertical on the little plastic stand supplied otherwise most of the wireless signal will just be going down towards the floor. And it might be worth rotating the upright router around its vertical axis to so if that helps.

Another issue is that the default wireless channel number is different on different Sky Broadband routers. It might be that your old router used a different channel number. For example, say your old router used channel 1. When your neighbour set up their wireless network, and they saw that someone was already using channel 1, so they decided to use channel 6. Then you get your new router and that could be set, by default, to use channel 1, 6 or 11. Now if it happens to be using channel 6, both you and your neighbour might end up scratching your heads trying to understand why you can't seem to get wireless networking properly, when it all seemed to work before.

And of course, your router might just be faulty, but try positioning it differently, or perhaps even try moving it. If that doesn't work, try changing wireless channel (you can do that by going to http://192.168.0.1/ and clicking on the Setup link near the top of the page).

Thanks

When plugged in via ethernet the connection is fine (althought incredibly slow).
      Did you follow the advice about how to plug in given in your last post. Your stats then indicated that you were getting a connection speed of 8000kbps, hardly slow. You are not using the crappy Sky extension are you?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      Its model number is DG934G (or so it says on the box it came in). It's a similar design to the Netgear DG834 or DG834G routers (but nothing like the DG834GT). The internal aerial looks a bit titchy, to be honest, plus the way it is soldered to the PCB (the board that the electronics of the router are soldered to) might result in the signal being partially blocked in one direction.

The PCB in the Netgear DG934G is mounted "upside down" so the wireless signal radiates best from the side of the router that has the big Sky Broadband label on it. It's probably a good idea to have this router standing vertical on the little plastic stand supplied otherwise most of the wireless signal will just be going down towards the floor. And it might be worth rotating the upright router around its vertical axis to so if that helps.

Another issue is that the default wireless channel number is different on different Sky Broadband routers. It might be that your old router used a different channel number. For example, say your old router used channel 1. When your neighbour set up their wireless network, and they saw that someone was already using channel 1, so they decided to use channel 6. Then you get your new router and that could be set, by default, to use channel 1, 6 or 11. Now if it happens to be using channel 6, both you and your neighbour might end up scratching your heads trying to understand why you can't seem to get wireless networking properly, when it all seemed to work before.

And of course, your router might just be faulty, but try positioning it differently, or perhaps even try moving it. If that doesn't work, try changing wireless channel (you can do that by going to http://192.168.0.1/ and clicking on the Setup link near the top of the page).
      Thx James67, I tried several channels to see which provided the strongest signal strength with the router positioned like you stated, and it seems channel 6 is the strongest signal strength. However, only providing 2 bars, and as soon as I take the laptop out of the room, signal is lost completely. This obviously still won't cut it as I would like to be able to use the internet in other areas of the house.

However, another issue besides the wireless is the SLOWWWWW speeds I get.

This is a recent test, I did 5mins ago. It is always speeds similar to this.

However, if I download using bit torrent, with enough peers, I can get download speeds of 600kb/s which is 10x faster than when I download from http links. (No matter the website).

I'm getting tired of these issues with Sky, I don't bother phoning sky anymore as I have only gotten to speak to tier3 twice which is where the only form of actual knowledge seems to exist. I cannot take another basic troubleshooting script EVER AGAIN!

Is it worth me flashing the router to get my un and pw and getting a different router?

Thanks

Have you tried running TCPOptimiser? If you are able to get high speeds using torrents it suggests something might not be quite right with your PC setup.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Used that TCP optimiser and it seemed have more than doubled the download speed. Still not fantastic speeds though, here is the new result

Also just to add, I am only 900meters from the exchange.
      Last edited by cwinhall; 08-03-08 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks

Your attenuation of 35 dbs suggests that your actual line length is a bit over 3 kilometres.

I meant to add that you do not need to flash your router to get the username/password. You can use James' Utility Read the disclaimers and instructions first.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Your attenuation of 35 dbs suggests that your actual line length is a bit over 3 kilometres.

I meant to add that you do not need to flash your router to get the username/password. You can use James' Utility Read the disclaimers and instructions first.
      This is the exchange I am connected to:

Samknows Broadband - Western (WSWES) exchange

It is VERY close to me, check the postcode of this exchange against mine which is G12 0QU.

By the way, how can you tell my line attenuation?

I have attached a photo with the router stats after jsut rebooting it.

Is there a tool to show detailed stats for this router? Like the older sky router?
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New router = weak wireless!-router_stats.jpg  
      Last edited by cwinhall; 08-03-08 at 05:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast