Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sagem router port forward problem

This is a discussion on Sagem router port forward problem within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I have been trying to forward port 22 to my local box 192.168.0.2 to no avail. I am on ...

crouzilles is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sagem router port forward problem

Hi,

I have been trying to forward port 22 to my local box 192.168.0.2 to no avail.
      I am on ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy. No firewall is installed by default. I can ssh to 127.0.0.1 and to 192.168.0.2.

I have forwarded the port 22 in the sagem router firewall section, yet it does not work at all.

I have done a tcpdump and nothing gets to my machine at all on port 22 when doing ssh from the outside world, which means 1 of 2 things, or Sky are blocking port 22, which I doubt because other ports (some above 1024) don't get forwarded either, or the sagem router has a problem with its firmware and port forwarding dos not work.

Firmware version 1.5sky

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Thank you

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sagem router port forward problem

I tried it with my Sagem router and you're right, it doesn't work. My V1 router, on the other hand, forwards to port 22 absolutely fine, so it looks like it's a router bug.

I tried setting things up to forward port 13 (daytime) and that did work. I suspect that the ports which don't work will be those which the router uses for management (telnet, ftp, tftp, ssh and http). They should, of course, be closed to the outside world, but putting in a port forwarding rule should override that, but that seems not to be the case.

crouzilles is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your comments James67, at least I know I am not alone with this problem.

The next question is: What to do about this.... hmm I am not sure.

I called sky support earlier to talk about it, and they said that no one knows about port forwarding, simply that the sagem has the capability to do it, they could not help.
      How bizarre..

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

You could pester Sky again, and ask them to send you a Netgear DG934G router (which doesn't appear to suffer from this problem). Although, I'm not sure if Sky can actually determine which router should be sent out - it appears at the moment, that they just send out whichever router is at the top of the pile.

In the circumstances, I think you've got good cause to use your own router. There is a way of determining your ADSL username and password, which I'm sure you'll be able to find, cough, cough, somewhere, cough, cough, on this site. Using your own router is against Sky's terms and conditions, but them giving you a router which can't port forward port 22 renders their service "not fit for purpose", in my opinion. If they do kick up a fuss about it, just slap that in their face.

midnightsun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi guys,

Did anyone ever get anywhere with this problem? I'm using Ubuntu Hardy and am trying to set up SSH but am not getting very far. From what crouzilles said above the sagem router seems to object to forwarding port 22 but I can't seem to make it forward to any port. Connecting from within my network, however, is no problem at all.

I tried:

1. Changing Port SSH was listening on by editing /etc/ssh/sshd_config to listen on port 888. (and restarted ssh server)
      2. Configuring iptables (through firestarter) to allow port 888
      3. Adding custom ssh service in router setup
      4. Creating router firewall rule to accept 888 and forward to 192.168.0.2 (reserved IP in router setup)

Still just getting connection refused error.

Crouzilles: Did you get anywhere with Sky support? I dread every phone call I have to make to those muppets. Simply mentioning I'm using a non-windows OS seems to send them into fits of confusion...I shudder to think what kind of response I'd get to this kind of thing.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky tech support cannot and is not allowed to support Linux and port forwarding questions are refered to Netgear or Sagem support end of story. The "muppets" should just point you to the fact that on Sky.com products page it states the min spec for Sky BB is Windows 2000 and that there is no mention there of linux support.
      PC minimum specifications
      • Windows 2000 or higher
      • 133 MHz or higher
      • Spare Ethernet port
      • 100 MB hard drive space
      • RAM - 64 Mb or higher

Mac minimum specifications
      • Processor - 266MHz Power PC G3 or greater
      • Spare Ethernet port
      • OS X v10.2.6 (Jaguar) or higher
      • RAM - 128 MB

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your reply, Paul.

Unfortunately, as I neither want nor need of any form of Linux support, I don't really see what the relevance was to most of your post? I merely mentioned I was using Linux (and the merest mention of such can, and does, send tech support into fits of confusion...)

For example:

Sky: Hi, Welcome to Sky, this is _____
      Me : Hi, my router is not connecting to my adsl connection.
      Sky: Thank you for your call. What version of Windows are you using?
      Me : Sorry - I musn't have made myself clear - the problem is not on my computer but my router/phone line. I've checked the router settings and it's not making the ADSL connection.
      Sky: Sir, please be opening internet explorer.
      Me : Sorry - no internet explorer. I can use firefox to connect to my router?
      Sky: (condescending tone) Sir, of course *ALL* computers have internet explorer.
      Me: Actually - I'm using Linux...but this isn't a software fault. It's my router.
      Sky: Linux? AYIIIIEEEEE!!!! *click*
      Me : *sigh*

In fairness - you also mentioned they'd send port forwarding questions to sagem, but posting here was designed to avoid this problem.

So thanks for your spirited defense of Sky Tech Support but I can't understand how you came to the conclusion I would ever want to ask those muppets anything about my OS.
      Last edited by midnightsun; 04-08-08 at 11:47 AM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Continuing to call 'us' muppets isn't going to get you anywhere tbh, but seeing as there is a number of posts on port forwarding perhaps searching for those might help...

Besides, Sky BB is aimed at the 'plug and play' people -not those wanting more advanced features...I assume it was thought that if someone wants port forwarding they'll already know how to do it...

And on the note of Windows, as all TS is based on Windows/IE saying you have anything different will get you no support - it was your choice to use Linux and as such you problem to fix (I know it's an irrelevent statement as it's supposedly a connection issue you have is it not?)...

As far as Sky are concerned, if your router is connected to them and you can browse, there is no issue...

As for James' statement of the router 'not being fit for purpose' - don't agree with that I'm afraid, seeing as the router connects to the 'Net and you can browse...which fulfills Sky's service
      Last edited by IWasNotTheEnemy; 04-08-08 at 11:55 AM.
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      Continuing to call 'us' muppets isn't going to get you anywhere tbh, but seeing as there is a number of posts on port forwarding perhaps searching for those might help...
      Sorry - perhaps I wasn't clear. If I wanted help from Sky tech support I would have called them. I posted here in the hope a fellow user would have some advice. As someone with extensive experience dealing with Sky tech support, I can assure you that 90% of all people I spoke to were muppets.

Besides, Sky BB is aimed at the 'plug and play' people -not those wanting more advanced features...I assume it was thought that if someone wants port forwarding they'll already know how to do it...
      Again - missing my point. I already know how to do it. I'm suggesting the Sagem router supplied by Sky is not performing the task it is supposed to - forwarding ports.

And on the note of Windows, as all TS is based on Windows/IE saying you have anything different will get you no support - it was your choice to use Linux and as such you problem to fix (I know it's an irrelevent statement as it's supposedly a connection issue you have is it not?)...
      Yes - you're quite right. It is irrelevant. I'm having a router problem, not a software one.

As far as Sky are concerned, if your router is connected to them and you can browse, there is no issue...
      You say that like this is an acceptable position to take? It was my understanding Sky is an ISP. The "I" stands for internet...not Web. Being Able to "Browse" is but one aspect of the internet as I'm sure you're well aware.

As for James' statement of the router 'not being fit for purpose' - don't agree
      with that I'm afraid, seeing as the router connects to the 'Net and you can browse...which fulfills Sky's service
      See above.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As for James' statement of the router 'not being fit for purpose' - don't agree
      with that I'm afraid, seeing as the router connects to the 'Net and you can browse...which fulfills Sky's service
      Rather like a garage selling a car which cannot get out of 1st gear, so they say 'it is capable of running on the road so it is OK'

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast