Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Were Is This New Firmware For The V1 Routers!!!!

This is a discussion on Were Is This New Firmware For The V1 Routers!!!! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by Grey Area However, I have to wonder why Sky went to all the trouble of forcing a ...

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Were Is This New Firmware For The V1 Routers!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Area View Post
      However, I have to wonder why Sky went to all the trouble of forcing a "bespoke" firmware into the Netgear router when there was a perfectly acceptable "off the shelf" version available - which could have reduced Sky's "multi-million pound loss" by drastically reducing the suport costs...
      What "multi-million pound loss" would that be then?

The original reasoning is quite sound, although the implementation has gone a bit sour in the process all thanks to Netgear's lacklustre performance.

With a custom router that is tuned to the network Sky would have a more consistent customer offering than simply selling bare wires. The entire supply chain from source to the router would be a known quantity. Contrast that with other ISPs who have not a clue what router is attached and will wash their hands of anything beyond the DSLAM.

Now, it may feel right to you to have your own router of choice on the wires but you are the top of the cream, even those of you who have discovered this forum are the top 5% of the top 1% of users [probably]. What I'm saying is that you are smarter than the average Broadband user who treats the service like it is a lightbulb, washing machine, radio set or TV.

There are often unkind words said about Sky's technical support - but if anyone has ever had to deal with ADSL in any of its variants and configurations they will know better. It is all very imprecise, there is so much to go wrong. And that is primarily why Sky chose the "sealed box" approach in a bid to try and restore some sanity. For sure their techs get it wrong some of the time, but they would seem to get it right a lot of the time considering the poll percentages that put them in the top league of the ISPs. To be there they must be doing something right. Gawd, I'm beginning to sound like a Sky fanbois

My understanding is that Sky have been delayed with the Netgear firmware for the Phase 1 routers (the white ones). What they have been given to date has been flaky, although solving the core problems it is introducing new ones. They would, in such a case, be insane to deploy that across their million or so Phase 1 boxes. These are big numbers and they cannot afford to get it wrong financially nor in terms of customer satisfaction which, believe it or not, Sky value highly. That ethic is promoted from the top down in that organisation and people have lost their jobs by not making the grade in that vein.

Word is that the new firmware is nearly at a standard that Sky will approve, but not yet. So we'll all have to be patient until then. If you put your own copy of Netgear's standard firmware on the chances are that you will not get the new Sky firmware when its released.

As an aside - did anyone notice that Sky bought Amstrad last year? Expect them to produce combination Satellite and Wireless Router STBs in the future. I can't see it not happening and it'll save spending out on Netgear and Sagem.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

2. Advertisement
      Grey Area is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      They wish

Sky makes a huge multi-million loss on their Broadband service.
      THAT multil million pound loss - I was just quoting someone else. Speech marks were used to indicate my skepticism, but may have been overly subtle, sorry about that.

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Area View Post
      ......, but may have been overly subtle, sorry about that.
      Oooooh, I don't do subtle, I dont
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234