Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remote Access to Home Server

This is a discussion on Remote Access to Home Server within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; As remote access to a server could be construed as 'hosting a website' I am not surprised that Sky can't ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Remote Access to Home Server

As remote access to a server could be construed as 'hosting a website' I am not surprised that Sky can't help you, even if you do not intend to host a site on your server. They make it clear in the T & Cs that Sky packages are for domestic use only and specifically bar hosting websites. The staff will not be trained in server issues. However a Google for 'TCP 80, 443 and 4125' will show that the difficulty you are experiencing is not restricted to Sky, but is a World wide problem. THIS is probably one of the best tutorials on setting up a Home Server for both internal and external access, it may be of some help to you.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Clemster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01980
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok,
      I emailed SKY to find out why I could not port forward TCP 80, 443 and 4125. After some time (6 calls to technical and three emails) I finally got a reply from SKY which explains why you cant use the remote access feature from SKY routers. It is as follows:

Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support.

In regards to your email we have supplied you with as much information regarding port forwarding as possible.

We run port blocking on all Sky Broadband services in order to maintain the quality of service for all of our customers, you will therefore not be able to run a mail or web server.

We don't technically support port forwarding, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

We block ports 25, 80, 8080 and 3128.

I trust this helps however should you continue to experience technical difficulties, please reply to this email or call us on 08442 41 05 15 . Lines are open 24 hours a day.

Kind regards

Sky Broadband Technical Support
      Sky
      Sky.com - Home
      BSkyB Ltd 2008. British Sky Broadcasting Ltd (Company No. 02906991) has its registered office at Grant Way , Isleworth, Middlesex TW7 5QD.

So there you have it. For the remote acces to work you need access to the three TCP ports, 80, 443 and 4125. As has been stated in the reply from SKY you are not allowed to use port 80 as they block it themselves. So REGARDLESS of router you cannot use your HP MediaServer as it was intended.

When my contract with SKY comes up for renewal in Nov I will be moving to a diffrent ISP that will allow this. For those of you thinking of joining SKY and wanting to use your server then you may wish to look for someone else to supply your broadband.

This is a shame because apart from this SKY have been pretty good with the service that they give and value for money but hey, it is time for ISP's to realise that the public are now asking for a bit more than just a simple broadband connection.

Regards
      Clemster

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It may be that SKY do not allow you to have access to the TCP 80, 443, and 4125 ports
      Sky do not block any ports that I am aware of. If it ain't working, then you haven't set up the port forwarding on the router correctly.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks
      Blog Entries

We run port blocking on all Sky Broadband services in order to maintain the quality of service for all of our customers, you will therefore not be able to run a mail or web server.

We don't technically support port forwarding, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

We block ports 25, 80, 8080 and 3128.
      Oh dear me....

So how does the internet work then?

I can confirm that port 80 does work, as it works on my machine if I wish to host something.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Did you read the tutorial linked above? According to it, port 80 is an option and not really necessary.

I am a bit confused by port 80 being blocked, I don't know a lot about it but I did think that this was the port used by the HTTP. If it were blocked surely I would not be here? Or am I missing something?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

OK

Try this link

Untitled Document

If that shows you a webpage, it proves Sky are not blocking port 80 as I have just setup my router to portforward to my PC on port 80 using IIS7.

No hacking me please.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 13-06-08 at 11:44 PM.

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

All i can say is who ever sent you that email Clemster is a double f
      "To help would be a great adventure"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12