Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

wireless light does not come on

This is a discussion on wireless light does not come on within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I have just got going with sky broadband i can connect to the net through the wired connection but ...

jaks101 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

wireless light does not come on

Hi
      I have just got going with sky broadband i can connect to the net through the wired connection but i can not connect wireless'ly.
      i can see several other of my neighbours wireless connections
      but the net gear one does not show even when im right next to it
      i have been into the configuration screen to check if the wireless enabled box is checked (which it is).
      I have rebooted the box a couple of times and switched the power off or on.

on the router the wireless light is not swiched on.

can anyone help me?

2. Advertisement
      Ratti3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks
      hi, welcome to the site

you may want to try a reset with the power on (press the small button on the back)

jaks101 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

already tried that one several times.

youravinalarrrf is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: MYBD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Exactly what make/model of wireless adapter are you using?

watchawk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Manchester
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: wireless light does not come on

Hello,

I am another person with exactly the same problem and it looks that the thread has not reached any conclusion...

Anyway, I have a brand new DG834GT, freshly activated and the wireless led only blinks during a modem startup and remains off all other time. The modem also remains undetected by my laptop so probably the wireless part of the modem is not working. But I am not sure if the led is expected to be on when no device is connected.
      In my laptop I am using Dell Wireless 1450 miniPCI card (manufactured by Broadcom) and I was able to connect to a Belkin modem in the past.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!

jennifer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LocksH
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Foxsat HDR
      Thanks

Is your router set to broadcast the SSID? Initially set it to broadcast using the wired network then connect with wireless. You can then disable SSID broadcast and your PC wireless kit will find the router.

If you enable wireless in router setup, the light will be on all the time - it will blink when exchanging data.

Jennifer

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My router has default settings as like after reset so broadcasting SSID is active. I contacted the tech support at Sky and they told it was a faulty router and they would send a replacement. Currently waiting.

There is still one more thing I am curious about. Me and the original poster mention detecting other wireless networks in the neighbourhood and it means that we live in quite population dense areas. I think of possible conflicts with other devices detected by the router at the startup. But switching channels did not help. I think about taking my router to my work place and connect it there, just if someone could confirm if the wireless light is expected to be on even if no computer or ADSL line are connected.

snake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchawk View Post
      My router has default settings as like after reset so broadcasting SSID is active. I contacted the tech support at Sky and they told it was a faulty router and they would send a replacement. Currently waiting.

There is still one more thing I am curious about. Me and the original poster mention detecting other wireless networks in the neighbourhood and it means that we live in quite population dense areas. I think of possible conflicts with other devices detected by the router at the startup. But switching channels did not help. I think about taking my router to my work place and connect it there, just if someone could confirm if the wireless light is expected to be on even if no computer or ADSL line are connected.
      That is correct the wireless light should still come on even if there is no RJ11 (ADSL line) connected to your microfilter. There router sounds like it is faulty and it usually takes 3-5 working days for a new router to come out. How long have you been waiting?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, thanks for info. I've been waiting for a new modem two weeks by now. And I am getting more and more used to the wired form of the modem. In the meantime I got my decoder installed and now I am curious if anyone else ever experienced blinking "SKY" logo? Getting paranoic with the lights...

snake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchawk View Post
      Hi, thanks for info. I've been waiting for a new modem two weeks by now. And I am getting more and more used to the wired form of the modem. In the meantime I got my decoder installed and now I am curious if anyone else ever experienced blinking "SKY" logo? Getting paranoic with the lights...
      Rite will your gonna need to ring sky to trace that router down cause it may have been lost as there appears to be a few of them gettin lost along the lines. If you ring sky and ask them for a consignment number and the number to parceline then you should beable to pick your router up from your nearest depot. Blinking sky logo now that i ain't heard of it could be just your power light blinking and the reflection of the LED light may just make the logo look like its flashing so don't panic about that to much. You are very aware that you have issues wif ur router and it def sounds like it has packed in on you so ya need to track down ur new router and see where it has gotten to