Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can the Sky router be used as a repeater?

This is a discussion on Can the Sky router be used as a repeater? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I hope this isn't too long winded! I currently use a BT Voyager router for my connection and it works ...

allancoblue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ewell
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can the Sky router be used as a repeater?

I hope this isn't too long winded!

I currently use a BT Voyager router for my connection and it works flawlessly as opposed to the Sky one which never seemed to work right when I first got it over a year ago.
      My wireless network has now spread to my garage at the bottom of the garden and I am able to connect to my router in the house but at 70% signal and more often than not the signal drops completely and I have to scan for my SSID again to reconnect.
      I started to look into the idea of boosting the signal and have to admit to being a bit confused as to what I need, however whilst trawling the net I found an article about using two wireless routers to do it:

Can I use a second wireless access point to extend my wireless network? - Ask Leo!

at first the guy writing the article seems to think it can't be done, but in later notes others seem to have it working.
      Just out of interest last night I plugged my DG834GT (mains only) and scanned for it in my Voyagers config page Using WDS and found it, then I used my laptop and connected to the Sky's SSID at 100% signal but at this stage obviously I couldn't connect to the net.

The following is taken from the notes at the bottom of the mentioned webpage and I am confused about resetting all settings to the original and setting the second routers LAN IP address to a valid range:

"This might help a little bit. I just sucessfully configured my wireless routers this morning, on my first attempt,thanks God. Here are what you should do,
      1. Configure the first wireless router as it is supposed to be.
      2. Connect the second wireless router via cable to computer, and enter its IP address to configure.Reset all settings to the original and set SSID and channel similar to the first router and lastly at LAN IP set IP to any valid range. In my case I set to 192.168.0.199 because the valid range for my first router was 192.168.0.100 thru 299. Dont forget to unchecked DHCP, save and turn off.
      3. Pull your second router to your room and connect the other end of thecable to the first router. Power up and enjoy. I have excellent conncection"

Does this make sense to anybody and can it be done using the Sky router?

Many thanks
      Last edited by allancoblue; 22-02-08 at 11:41 AM. Reason: grammar correction

2. Advertisement
      mccann85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Waterlooville
      Broadband ISP: BE & O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Can the Sky router be used as a repeater?

I don't you can do it completely wireless with the sky router. The only way i have found it to work is running a cable from your own router(which is connected to the phone line) to the sky router. But on the sky router you'll need to turn off NAT.

Yak
      Yak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is it possible to use the sky router (wireless off) plugged into the main phone line, and then connect another router (wireless enabled) via cable to the SKY router?

I'm sure you can appreciate where I'm going with this.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,482 Posts

Have a look at the 'Ask Leo' link in the OP's first post.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider / TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Yak
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah, I can set it up no problem, but I can't get 2 open nats on my 2 xbox's

Yak
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The problem being that to get 2 open nats, I have to have ip's dynamically assigned to the xbox's.
      If I have them dynamically assigned i.e. set to AUTO, then it picks up the ip address from the wireless router, which is not connected to the phone line, and therefore the xbox's fail the MTU test.
      If I give them static ips I get a moderate nat, and they both can't play at the same time.
      It's really bugging me that I have to break the T&C's just to get my two lads xbox's working (which is the primary use of the BB for them), but I can't see any other way around it.
      The router SKY sent me is fine, I have never had any problems with it, but it just doesn't do the job with the xbox's.
      I'm going to have to stick to the dlink for now, and hope SKY release either a different firmware or allow people to use their own router.
      Last edited by Yak; 23-02-08 at 05:19 PM.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

You would be much better off using HomePlug (LAN over 240v Mains Wires). You'd need one attached to the main routers LAN and another in your Garage connected to your computer LAN. Total cost about 50 for 85 MB/sec - have a look on ebay and search 'HomePlug'. You'd then have a constant high quality extension to your network. I use HomePlug rather than WiFi, it's more reliable and a great deal more secure. It's also plug'n'play and needs no setting up - and you can move the 'remote' HomePlug to any 240v socket in your house/garage, or buy multiple HomePlugs.

Yak
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      You would be much better off using HomePlug (LAN over 240v Mains Wires). You'd need one attached to the main routers LAN and another in your Garage connected to your computer LAN. Total cost about 50 for 85 MB/sec - have a look on ebay and search 'HomePlug'. You'd then have a constant high quality extension to your network. I use HomePlug rather than WiFi, it's more reliable and a great deal more secure. It's also plug'n'play and needs no setting up - and you can move the 'remote' HomePlug to any 240v socket in your house/garage, or buy multiple HomePlugs.
      Ah, the problem isn't with my wireless range.

The problem is that I am having to use a non-SKY router so that my 2 lads can play on 2 different xbox's on live at the same time. The router supplied by sky does not do this. So I wanted to still plug my sky router in for the connection to the BB, and then use my other router wired from that utilising the fully functioning UPNP to support 2 open NATS.
      The wireless range is not an issue.
      Thanks for the reply though, I have recommended my mate on the use of powerline, and he is very happy with it.
      Cheers

allancoblue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ewell
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yak View Post
      Ah, the problem isn't with my wireless range.
      I think dms05 was replying to me (no offence) as he's refferring to my opening post.

The homeplug idea is something I may well consider, however the fly in the ointment is that the setup in my garage is running Ubunto and I managed to get my Belkin adaptor up and running with no problems, however Linux is not normally that easy to setup with other wireless adaptors, I'll look into it though.
      Cheers

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,482 Posts

Homeplug types use a ethernet connection so there should be no problem, even with Linux. They are available as wireless, but in your situation, the extra cost is probably not worth it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider / TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast