Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Do you use SKY's Router?

Voters
    55. You may not vote on this poll
    • YES - I USE SKYS ROUTER

36 65.45%
    • NO - I USE MY OWN

19 34.55%
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who uses their own router

This is a discussion on Who uses their own router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; please tick yes if you use a SKY router or no if you use your own....

djkemp1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Who uses their own router

please tick yes if you use a SKY router or no if you use your own.

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Who uses their own router

I use the Sky router as I have never had any issues with it. I gave my own router away to my brother so I don't have any back up anyway.

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I've done both! Sky's day to day but my own when theirs fell over until a replacement turned up. The "new" V1 one actually does wireless much better (rock solid connection, faster and a greater range) than either the first unit or my Speedtouch.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

do you mean V2??? as the V1 is what i have from netgear and its all but useless when it comes to wireless stability thats why i had to get my own instead and use that.

if there is such a problem why don't sky ask for the other routers back and issue out the V2's or Sagems which ever is better as like many have said technically using your own router is against T&Cs, thats why i hope they don't start enforcing it as apart from the router issue im very happy with the service i get.

stevvie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bradwell Abbey (SMBA)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You may want to modify the poll, adding sky but NOT sky's firmware. I ust DGTeams firmware on the sky V1 router.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djkemp1 View Post

if there is such a problem why don't sky ask for the other routers back and issue out the V2's or Sagems which ever is better
      Probably because many people use the original router without any problems including myself.

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djkemp1 View Post
      do you mean V2??? as the V1 is what i have from netgear and its all but useless when it comes to wireless stability thats why i had to get my own instead and use that........
      Yes, V1. I was quite pleased when it died, thinking I'd be on for a V2 but what arrived was an obviously pre used V1. My first router was barely able to keep a connection between my laptop downstairs and itself upstairs. Using the replacement even lets our Nintendo Wii online, something we had no chance with before. I entirely agree that we ought to be abe to use our own routers but honestly, I've no problem with the supplied device.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

as its going at the moment with the people voted there is quite a high number 32% that actually use their own router.

i hope they never get to the stage of having to throw people off for using their own equipment. does anyone think this will happen or do you think they will leave people to use there own equipment?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

A poll of this kind can only be meaningful when a large number participate. As of now, fewer than 30 have bothered. That's is out of a membership of over 20,000 and over a million Sky users, hardly a very accurate figure. You should also bear in mind that some may not like the fact that they are breaking the T & Cs, made public.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I came up with an estimate the other day, of roughly how many people are using their own routers. Here's how I came to that estimate.

Sky started issuing the new V2 routers at about the same time as it hit the 1 million customers mark. They've now got about 1 million customers, so that means that about 500,000 customers with V2 routers.

Before the password page was set up, there were about 400 people who downloaded the modified firmware for the DG934G, and about 100 people who downloaded the modified firmware for the F@ST2504. The modified firmware for the Sagem came out quite a bit later than the modified firmware for the Netgear, and that accounts for why the Netgear downloads were so much higher than the Sagem downloads.

There have been about 500 people who've used the password page, so in total, that makes 1,000 people who have obtained their V2 router's ADSL username and password. That's 1,000 out of 500,000, and we're assuming that all of those people are actually getting their password to use in their own router, rather than getting them just "for emergencies".

It seems reasonable to assume that a larger proportion of the V1 router owners would have swapped their Sky router for a non-Sky router, simply because it was so much less reliable. If we guess, say, twice as high a proportion, that gives us about 4,000 people.

So in total, that's about 5,000 people out of 1 million, or about 3 or 4%.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast