Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Firmware Upgrade

This is a discussion on Firmware Upgrade within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; You have an attenuation of 57db which will give you a sync of ~3500kbps at best. With Connect your throughput ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Firmware Upgrade

You have an attenuation of 57db which will give you a sync of ~3500kbps at best. With Connect your throughput will be based on the BRAS profile you end up on (based on your sync - which I've tried to explain to you elsewhere). You've posted speedtest results which show throughput of ~2000kbps which is entirely consistent with the sort of sync you'd expect with your attenuation. There may be some room for improvement e.g. a small improvement in sync might move you to the next BRAS of 2500, but that's about it.

You've made it abundantly clear in a number of posts that you're unhappy with Sky and unhappy with your connection but it's a simple fact that any other vendor you move to (which is your stated intention), that resells BT's ADSL Max can only give you the same speed you are getting on Connect.

You may get satisfaction from adding your complaints to multiple threads but it's not helpful. If you have something (new) to say please start and keep to your own thread.

2. Advertisement
      RupertTHEbare is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSLES
      Broadband ISP: FAST
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      You may get satisfaction from adding your complaints to multiple threads but it's not helpful. If you have something (new) to say please start and keep to your own thread.
      Now now... don't get your panties all in a bunch.

Just a little humor a la Life of Brian.

RTB.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      You have an attenuation of 57db which will give you a sync of ~3500kbps at best. With Connect your throughput will be based on the BRAS profile you end up on (based on your sync - which I've tried to explain to you elsewhere). You've posted speedtest results which show throughput of ~2000kbps which is entirely consistent with the sort of sync you'd expect with your attenuation. There may be some room for improvement e.g. a small improvement in sync might move you to the next BRAS of 2500, but that's about it.
      Since installing the Netgear DG834GT and Mossywell excellent Bounce util and reading up a little elsewhere in here, I can now understand a little better the issue of performance throughput and server latency as it relates to sync rate, attenuation and noise level.

Or at least I thought I did. Because now when I look at my stats, I don't see the performance improvement I thought I might with the stats provided by the new router.

Can you throw any light on this?

Is it simply that not having achieved the magic 2500 sync rate, no new BRAS profile kicks in?

And if I had the option (which I don't believe I have with Sky but might get elsewhere), would switching off interleaving help any?

Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 448 Kbps, Downstream rate = 2080 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 14.3 18.0
      Attn(dB): 15.5 30.5
      Pwr(dBm): 17.4 12.3
      Max(Kbps): 2400 992
      Rate (Kbps): 2080 448
      G.dmt framing
      K: 66(0) 15
      R: 16 16
      S: 2 8
      D: 16 4
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 1 1
      B: 66 15
      M: 2 8
      T: 1 1
      S: 2.2388 9.0000
      L: 536 128
      Counters
      SF: 4385874 4385872
      SFErr: 54 10
      RS: 149119720 37279912
      RSCorr: 28115 140
      RSUnCorr: 408 0

HEC: 47 6
      OCD: 1 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 365764258 0
      Data Cells: 1510326 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 91 0
      SES: 74 0
      UAS: 9 0
      Total time = 20 hours 42 min 53 sec
      SF = 4385874
      CRC = 54
      LOS = 122
      LOF = 0
      ES = 91

RTB.
      Last edited by RupertTHEbare; 20-02-08 at 03:39 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You have the 15.5 attenuation firmware bug, you have to reboot your router to get rid of it. Turning interleaving off is likely to do no more than increase your errors.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You have the 15.5 attenuation firmware bug, you have to reboot your router to get rid of it. Turning interleaving off is likely to do no more than increase your errors.
      Thanks, after three attempts I got this...

Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 448 Kbps, Downstream rate = 2304 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 15.7 16.0
      Attn(dB): 57.0 30.5
      Pwr(dBm): 17.9 12.3
      Max(Kbps): 2592 944
      Rate (Kbps): 2304 448
      G.dmt framing
      K: 73(0) 15
      S: 2 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 1 1
      B: 73 15
      M: 2 8
      T: 1 1
      S: 2.2162 9.0000
      L: 592 128
      Counters
      SF: 66574 66572
      SFErr: 0 0
      RS: 2263524 565862
      RSCorr: 7273 0
      RSUnCorr: 0 0

HEC: 0 0
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 6153527 0
      Data Cells: 91371 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 1 0
      SES: 1 0
      UAS: 9 0
      Total time = 19 min 6 sec
      SF = 66574
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 1
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1

Does that mean that the magic BRAS profile might kick in now?

From what I remember before, when I was using my own Netgear router on Entanet, I didn't have any significant errors. Its only since I moved to Sky and that the throughput has become an issue. Maybe Entanet didn't have me on interleaved and Sky do for some reason.

RTB.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Its only since I moved to Sky and that the throughput has become an issue.
      The problem is that you are not really 'with' Sky. You may pay them the money. but BT are in fact your supplier. Unfortunately, Sky do not seem able to communicate with BT concerning Connect problems, the 288/288 'wrong package' is a good example. This has happened too often to be a simple mistake made by a BT technician, it has to be a conspiracy of some kind, no doubt to make Sky look bad to it's subscribers. Goodness knows how many out there are trapped by this and don't even realize it, as they have not found there way here.

If your line remains stable for about 3 days, your profile should reset, if indeed it is set too low.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Definatly BT is up to no good, they have lost thousands upon thousands of customers and they seem to deliberatly be awkward to non BT users.

They lied outright when I wanted to swap to Sky saying that I wouldn't get any faster than 4meg/sec (9-12 on sky)and that they weren't in my exchange etc etc.

Then they charge me a broadband moving fee of 60 and even when I complained to head office they refused to budge,

Then the cheeky so and so's have the gall to bombard me with phonecalls this week 10 months after this, saying that they are better than Sky and how they are faster than Sky, cheaper etc etc.

They need somebody to take them to court to kick em up the backside.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If your line remains stable for about 3 days, your profile should reset, if indeed it is set too low.
      I am waiting for Sky to provide my MAC now. Unlike Sky's 'customer support' (sic), my new ISP is knowledgeable enough and has a good reputation for speed and support to protect, so is quite happy to take on BT and find the problem.
      A check on the phone line and postcode suggest your area gets around 1Mbps, so the fact that you're already syncing at 2.3Mbps is a very good sign that the line can do better.

With a few tweaks on the line (getting BT to reduce the SNR, and disabling interleaving) you should be able to see a good improvement on that current speed with a provider like ourselves.

We wouldn't be able to do those tweaks until after the 10 day training period once you'd come over, but that period may fix the two above issues anyway and give you the improvement early on.

We'd certainly welcome you over and would work with you to get the best your line can support, either via e-mail discussion (which you've already tested our response time) or over the phone if you preferred.
      And I got that answer back from them within 5 minutes of sending them my stats.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

^ not very cheap tho considering the bandwidth you get...

still, so long as you're happy
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: DG834GT + TL-WR702N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RupertTHEbare View Post
      I am waiting for Sky to provide my MAC now. Unlike Sky's 'customer support' (sic), my new ISP is knowledgeable enough and has a good reputation for speed and support to protect, so is quite happy to take on BT and find the problem.

And I got that answer back from them within 5 minutes of sending them my stats.
      Once you are up and running, do come back and let us know how you get on. It will be nice to know if the grass really is greener on the other side of the fence!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast