Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless card For Netgear Router

This is a discussion on Wireless card For Netgear Router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Afternoon My friend has just got Sky and has got the new Netgear Router DG934, please can someone advise what ...

wikey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless card For Netgear Router

Afternoon

My friend has just got Sky and has got the new Netgear Router DG934, please can someone advise what the official Netgear PCI wireless adapter is? as I cant seem to find it?

Cheers

Paul

2. Advertisement
      onemeg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless card For Netgear Router

anyone got a suggestions for this?

I've got my router and my BB goes live (hopefully) later this week and I will need a card to get my desktop PC wirelessly connected....

balloon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

There are plenty to choose from here. It is usually best to go for the same manufacturer as the router (e.g. WG311). It may be worth getting a desktop antennae as well if the PC is situated quite far from the router (no point having an antennae at the back of a PC).

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you don't feel up to putting in a PCI card, you can always use a USB Adapter Some say these are not as good as the PCI type, but they do have the advantage of being easily moved from one machine to another.

If you do decide to buy, don't pay the premium on 108, 125 and higher adapters, they will be very little, if any, better than a 54g which your router will support.

One final point, a wired ethernet connection will always be better and more secure than a wireless one, so if at all possible, forget wireless and connect by wire.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

balloon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Also, if you want a wired connection but don't want the hassle of trailing wires everywhere.... consider HomePlug adapters.

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you don't feel up to putting in a PCI card, you can always use a USB Adapter Some say these are not as good as the PCI type, but they do have the advantage of being easily moved from one machine to another.

If you do decide to buy, don't pay the premium on 108, 125 and higher adapters, they will be very little, if any, better than a 54g which your router will support.

One final point, a wired ethernet connection will always be better and more secure than a wireless one, so if at all possible, forget wireless and connect by wire.
      Yes it is easier but its less stable, very CPU hungry and the technology is not that developed yet..