Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How does the Sky router find the PC's ?

This is a discussion on How does the Sky router find the PC's ? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I'm new to Sky - well I will be on Saturday, but I'm worrying about what's in store for ...

Black Dog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01926
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy How does the Sky router find the PC's ?

Hi,

I'm new to Sky - well I will be on Saturday, but I'm worrying about what's in store for me...

At the moment I'm with cable:
      My modem plugs into my Belkin wireless router, which in turn connects via ethernet to 1 PC and also connects wirelessly to a 2nd PC into which a Belkin wireless receptor widget (whatever it's called) is plugged via a USB port.

My question is: when the Sky router arrives, it will no doubt be sited remote from either PC - or will I be given the option to have the router in one room and the Sky tele box in another?.
      If the router is remote from the PC's, how will it connect to them? Will it come with 2 wireless receptor widgets (I expect not) ? If not how does it work ? Will I have to buy 2 such devices ? If so what and where from and how much ? Or will the Belkin widget work for at least one of the PC's ?

Pardon my ignorance, but the Sky salesperson didn't seem to know about anything other than laptops with blue-teeth that just magically connect.

Hope that makes sense to someone out there !

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: How does the Sky router find the PC's ?

It all works exactly the same really, except that Sky supply a single unit that has an ADSL modem AND a router. You first PC (the one connected using Ethernet) can simply plug into the Sky router. Power up or reboot the PC and it'll pick the new details from the router.

Your second PC (the one with the wireless adaptor) will connect wirelessly to the router. You will need to change the settings for the wireless adaptor, but your router will have a credit-card sized card with the details you need.

As for where to place your router, it's best to have it close to the master telephone socket and it will need a nearby mains socket to power it. But if that's difficult for you, there's ways around that.

So don't worry too much about it all now, whatever the situation, I'm sure the people on this forum will be more than eager help you, once you've been activated on Sky.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Right then, I'm now Skyed-up and sort of working but not yet as well as I did with Virgin !!!
      Initially I've had the router plugged in via a fairly long (approx 10m) phone extension cable from the master phone socket, such that the supplied ethernet cable could plug direct into PC No.1.
      Perhaps not surprisingly the speed has been pathetic - I'm supposed to have an 8mb service but the speed test from (top10-broadband.co.uk) reported always around approx 0.37mB download / 0.27mB upload.
      I've now plugged the router direct into the master phone socket, with the PC temporarily relocated next to it, connected via the ethernet cable, and the download speed has significantly improved to 1.46mB (Top 10 Broadband Compare Broadband - 100+ Broadband Deals & Offers. Broadband ISP, ADSL, Cable & Mobile Broadband) or indeed 3.068mB if I test from Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test (why is there such a huge difference between the sites?)
      Anyhow, the PC can't stay here which means I now need to try connecting to the router wirelessly: I have the Network Adapter which worked with my Belkin CABLE router - what do I do to reconfigure it ? I'd guess Shutdown - Remove ethernet cable - Plug in Belkin Adapter - Reboot and hope I get asked for settings printed on the Router. Alternatively, any idea what will happen if I connect Router to PC via 10m ethernet cable (if such a thing exists)?
      Third option might be to reposition the master phone socket adjacent to where the PC is.
      Finally, back to the speed issue: the best speed test I've achieved is apparently well below the "Sky average" according to the speedtest sites, but what does that mean: is the "Sky Average" the average of all Sky users who've tested, regardless of what speed service they subscribe to?
      ...All help / advice / opinions gratefully received.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I would advise uninstalling then reinstalling your adapter. It may not strictly be necessary, but it means you will have no chance of conflicting settings. Other than that, you just have to make sure you enter the Key correctly, remember that all are capital letters, no numbers.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

The adapter has NEVER been actually plugged into this PC, so presumably, I just shutdown, plug in and reboot then ?

Thanks

With most USB adapters you have to run the software first, then plug in the adapter when asked to do so. PCI adapters are the opposite, plug the card in first and allow windows to find it, then point to the software.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Isitme,
      It worked and I'm amazed !!!
      Speed's not particularly impressive mind you... 1.76mB download from BOTH speed-test sites I mentioned earlier and the PC is currently right next to the Router. Next test will be with the PC located remote from where the Router is going to be living from now on. Incidentally, my son's Playstation 2 is now functioning just as good as it did with my old Cable / Belkin set-up: the PS2 is already located (upstairs) remote from the Router.
      I'll have a trawl through the threads to pick up any advice there may be on boosting the speed. I'm paying for "8mB" but I'm not sure what I should be REALLY expecting. The speed-tests do suggest I'm well below the Sky averages but as I said, it's not clear if those averages include tests from people testing the 16mB service? Does anybody know the answer to that ? For what it's worth, I'm using a brand new BT line installed 2 weeks ago.
      Last edited by Black Dog; 16-03-08 at 09:29 PM.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

could you post some router stats, we can then advise

Thanks

Were the speed tests done with wireless or wired? With wireless you are always going to loose some speed, even right next to the router you will not get as much as you will wired. Until your speed is finally settled I would not bother wireless tests, apart from anything else this will give you a base comparison for your wireless tests.

The speed given on test sites varies with the amount who are using it at the particular time. Even on Speedtest.net there is a big difference between the different servers. For instance I get just under 7000kbps from the Paris server and about 4600 from Dublin, the recommended one for my location. Paris is always faster than London. Maybe because the French are less likely to check their speed than us in UK, the server is lightly used.

As the Richone says, post your stats and someone will give you an idea of what you can expect.

If you have not already done so, download and run TCPOptimiser this can make a tremendous difference on your download speed.

I am pretty sure the Sky 'average speed' includes all packages, including MAX. Remember though that there are a great many on Max who have very low download speeds. Only those with an attenuation of about 35 or below see much speed benefit from Max.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 05:55:09

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 25173 21057 0 891 2640 01:22:51
      LAN 100M/Full 62239 58399 0 2388 670 05:55:05
      WLAN 11M/54M 114483 71716 0 6724 307 05:54:52
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4416 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49 db 14 db
      Noise Margin 2147483646 db 13 db

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast