Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help if your wireless connection keeps dropping

This is a discussion on Help if your wireless connection keeps dropping within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I thought I would post this information as making this change to my setup has made my wireless network much ...

Barolo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth, Middlesex
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up Help if your wireless connection keeps dropping

I thought I would post this information as making this change to my setup has made my wireless network much more reliable.

After battling with my new sky setup, one thing that I discovered on the web was that the default wireless network management service in Windows XP has a bad reputation and a number of articles recommend for the service to be disabled as it can cause your wireless network to drop every 30 minutes or so.

The crux of the solution is to use the supplied software that came with your wireless card and to disable the "Wireless Zero Configuration" service from starting up.

I have changed my system to operate in this way and it has been much more reliable for the past week.

See more info at: http://paininthetech.com/disable_wir..._in_windows_xp

Good Luck

2. Advertisement
      dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      You either use "Wireless Zero Configuration" or your wireless hardware software - you can switch between the two, you don't disable it as such. I would think your problem was something else.

using the supplied software that came with your wireless card is often better as their interfaces are much nicer

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Moved to the correct forum
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here