Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router Synced but no IP

This is a discussion on Router Synced but no IP within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, Had Sky for a few months now and it works OK except that in the evening I'll get ...

flaps is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router Synced but no IP

Hi all,

Had Sky for a few months now and it works OK except that in the evening I'll get frequent disconnections.

A reboot often brings my connection back up, but I note that throughout I'm synced up OK, but I don't have an IP address from sky.

From this I'm pretty sure it's not a DSL problem, either between me and the exchange and my house, or inside my house. It seems it's more likely to be an oversubscription problem at Sky's end.

Essentially, I've resolved not to do much. I know phoning Sky would be a waste of time and for 5 a month I think the service is adequate.

However, I do know one option is to replace the ADSL router. Based on my symptoms, and the experience of hundreds of other disgruntled Sky users, do you think this would make any difference?

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Router Synced but no IP

It's sounds very much like my "fizzing out" problem. As night draws in, you get a different pattern of interference on your phone line, and the router is supposed to cope with that by doing something called "bit swapping". If the interference gets really bad, it should drop the connection and resynchronise, but that's often a good thing because it means your router has synchronised at the noisiest time for your line.

Anyway, the router is supposed to do that, but unfortunately the Sky V1 router (the white one) doesn't. Or at least, doesn't do it very well. Sky are due to release new firmware for the router that should fix this, but that's been promised for months and months now. It's all terribly frustrating.

Using you're own router may well solve the problem, but then you'd be breaking Sky's terms and conditions. And with the firmware update coming soon, Sky will have a very easy way to see who's using a non-Sky router, because they'll have a record of which routers have requested the upgrade and more importantly, which routers have not.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Router Synced but no IP

if you have the white netgear router, could you post your detailed stats. these would give an indication to your problem
      (see second link in my sig and look for the mognuts utility)