Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bad Flashed DG934 - Now Dead.

This is a discussion on Bad Flashed DG934 - Now Dead. within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I was hoping someone could advise on how to fix this problem with my Black Netgear DG934 v2 Sky ...

Anthonyuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Bad Flashed DG934 - Now Dead.

Hi,

I was hoping someone could advise on how to fix this problem with my Black Netgear DG934 v2 Sky Router.

Tonight I flashed the router with the stock firmware included on the Sky Router CD sent included inside the box with the DG934 from Sky.

However immediately after the flash was finished I could see something was wrong. The light on the front of the Router donating the internet connection turned yellow.

I cannot now access the internet at all. I have tried logging into the router with the address http://192.168.0.1/ but this does not bring up the loggon popup box to put the admin/sky details.

I have tried resetting the router by pressing the reset button with a paperclip for 30 seconds then powering on and off the router by the mains but still nothing.

I have tried TFTP with windows command prompt to put in another DG934G firmware but I get a timeout error. (both trying it immediately from powering on the router and after leaving it for a while powered on).

On looking at the Sky Cd a bit more I am thinking sky may have gave me the wrong firmware on my CD. I say this as right next to the labeled DG934 firmware there is a text file for the model number which when I open it says the model is the DG834 .

I have took a scan of the CD folder to show what I mean by this.

I don't really wish to telephone sky at 8p per minute and be on for 40 minutes to them and then have to pay on top of this postage costs to send this router back to them for a replacement if there is not something I can do myself (I am somebody that likes to try and learn or figure out myself how to sort problems out myself than paying money I can't afford for others to repair).

So can anybody therefore suggest how to recover my router from this bad flash.

Plus does anyone think sky have put the wrong firmware on my CD as if so I would be quite annoyed about this.

Thanks for your help
      Anthony

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Bad Flashed DG934 - Now Dead.

out of interest - why did you flash it with the sky fw on the cd?

I think you need to have a look at the forum http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extra...ter-passwords/ which may help in the re-flashing process.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

From what I can see from the software kit that Netgear have made available for the DG934G, it is largely based on the DG834G router (a completely different router from the DG834GT router that the V1 Sky router was based on). Indeed, there are numerous references to the DG834 in the software kit that weren't updated.

So the answer to you question is no, Sky haven't provided you with the wrong firmware, despite what the contents of the Model.txt file say.

Anyway, if a failure has occurred during a reflashing procedure, then you'll need to use the Netgear Recovery Utility supplied on the CD. This, I'm afraid, is something of a hit-and-miss process. Ideally, you need a Windows XP machine to do this, although some people have reported success on Windows Vista, but configuring the utility to run as if it were under XP (sorry, I honestly can't remember all this silly Windows nonsense).

The key thing is to get the router into is recovery mode. You did this by switching the power off, then pushing in the reset button, and the switching the power back on with the reset button still pressed in. You'll know that you've got it right because the two leftmost lights on the router will flash alternately.

With the router in its recovery mode, you run the RmDrv.exe program, and then run the UpgradeWizard.exe program. On Vista, you probably have to right click and select "Run as Administrator".

Like I said, though, it's all a bit hit-and-miss. Some people (like me) seem never to have a problem with it, other people never seem able to make it work, despite trying everything they can thing of, even doing things like changing network card.

Oh, I should mention, that obviously, you have to do this while you're connected to the PC using an Ethernet cable. It's not possible to do this over a wireless connection.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Plus does anyone think sky have put the wrong firmware on my CD as if so I would be quite annoyed about this.
      I think Sky will be annoyed with you for attempting to flash a router without their say so.
      Last edited by Isitme; 02-02-08 at 03:56 PM. Reason: typo

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think Sky will be annoyed you for attempting to flash a router without their say so.
      Then why give everyone a CD with the firmware on it.

No other router I have bought from Netgear has a included in the box CD with a firmware on it.

That to me is like giving an alcoholic a bottle of Gin but saying not to ever drink it.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

i still do not know why you flashed your router ?

and as for having the cd in the box analogy, my car says it will do 150mph, but i have never tried to do it

Thanks

Just had a look at my Sky disk, the version number of the FW on it is V1.02.28 and is 3.64 Mbs in size, so is quite different from yours.

I think you may find that the FW version that was on your router was newer than that on the disk. I think I read this on the forum, but I can't remember where.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It is in the case of the Sagem router - that comes with 1.5sky on the router, but the CD only has 1.1sky.

For the Netgear V2 router, however, the flash image on the CD is the latest and indeed the only version of the firmware available for that router - version 2.02.34

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      For the Netgear V2 router, however, the flash image on the CD is the latest and indeed the only version of the firmware available for that router - version 2.02.34
      Thanks everybody I have got it working again, however it is saying the routers firmware is v1.02.26

Does anybody know how to upgrade it to the 2.02.34?.

It is definitely the DG934 router I have so its strange why it is saying this.

Thanks

Looks like you have downgraded the FW. I think the only place you will get the latest one is from Sky. Unless someone on the forum has a copy they can send you.
      Last edited by Isitme; 02-02-08 at 08:33 PM. Reason: typo

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast