Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wireless problems

This is a discussion on Wireless problems within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello, I currently have 5 comps (3 macs running leopard and 2 laptops running XP) connecting to the router all ...

toms789 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless problems

Hello, I currently have 5 comps (3 macs running leopard and 2 laptops running XP) connecting to the router all wireless.

Over the past couple of weeks the ADSL connection drops and it is sorted with a router restart. Over the past two days it has been dropping loads. so i tried connecting a laptop with an ethernet cable and the internet worked, but only with the cable not from a wireless connection.

Another thing i noticed is that when my iMac was connected i couldn't connect to the router through ethernet with the laptop. it said something about a conflicting IP Address (on the laptop).

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Tom

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Wireless problems

Check in all the connected devices as one may be set a manual IP, if this is the case then it needs to be changed.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Checked them all and they are all automatic.

I think my iMac may be the problem. in order to connect through ethernet i had to turn my iMac's Airport off.

Anyone got any ideas?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Check both the LAN adapters (wireless and ethernet) on the Mac have different IPs. They may both have been allocated the same IP, which could account for your problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Still have this problem have tried all the above to no avail.

Problem is getting a bit stupid now happening all the time. And with all comps

Would a router firmware upgrade help this?

Also what is sky like for replacing routers?

Thanks

Another thing i noticed is that when my iMac was connected i couldn't connect to the router through ethernet with the laptop. it said something about a conflicting IP Address (on the laptop).
      This definitely suggests that you have a manual address set somewhere, either on one of your machines or in the router. If you have checked all your adapters, both ethernet and wireless, then the wrong setting may be in your router. Try resetting your router by pushing a biro in the small hole below the power plug at the rear of your router. Hold it there for about 10 secs or until the 'tick' flashes. This will set it back to 'factory' settings and provided your PCs are correctly configured, you should have no problems. Remember if you have changed the security key, you will have to reset it before you can connect by wireless.

I doubt if the new firmware, when it arrives, will make any difference to your problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

balloon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah, seems like a DHCP issue to me. Try the reset etc as Isitme has said, see how that goes.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah tried the reset still happening.

i would like to point out that my wireless dongle was still plugged into my laptop and (i think) connected to the internet when i plugged my ethernet in. Which may be the cause of the IP conflict. I'm not sure

Has anyone had any problems like this?

And is my best bet just to ring sky? What are they like for replacements? I don't fancy talking to some customer rep who has no idea and is just reading off a sheet for 2 hours.

Thanks for all your help... (keep it coming!)

Tom

Thanks

If your router is dropping it's connection to the net, they will be able to help, but you must be prepared to spend some time on the phone and be prepared to carry out the CSs instructions. To save time it is better if you have the router plugged into the Test socket, or the master if you don't have an NTE5 master socket. After they have messed around for a while, probably capping you in the process, they may send you another router. But I would not hold my breathe if I were you.

I doubt if Sky will be able to help you with your internal connection problems, if you can get online, that is all they bother about. Configuring your PCs to work together is beyond their ken. If you were using a Sky-bought adapter, then you might get some help, but even then, it would be very basic.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The weird thing is that there hasn't been a problem for the 6 months i have been using this set up. The problem started a few weeks ago

Really starting to annoy me now, because others using the networks are looking at me for answers (i'm the most tech savvy) and i can't tell them anything.

I will keep tinkering about with it, but i can't see anything i have missed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast