Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sagem & Firewall

This is a discussion on Sagem & Firewall within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi Brand new nooby here, 1st post and just joined Sky for 1st time, See Surf Speak. Telly is installed ...

canonman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newington
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sagem & Firewall

Hi Brand new nooby here, 1st post and just joined Sky for 1st time, See Surf Speak. Telly is installed and working fine, my 8mb broadband gets switched over 5th Feb. I've just received a Sagem fast 2054 router from Sky, before I install it can someone tell me does this router have a hardware firewall built into it? I'm currently using a Sweex wired router which has it's own firewall saving me the hassle of finding a software firewall.

Could I continue using this Sweex router when Sky activate my line?

Migrating here from Pipex who are set on a self destruct mode now, cos I asked for my mac code they have went in a huff and now reduced my 8 mbit speed to dialup speed. Their excuse... there is maintenance going on within Pipex, they must think our heads are zipped up at the back.

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sagem & Firewall

The Sagem has the same firewall capabilities as pretty much every broadband router. The router has something called Network Address Translation (NAT) which means that every computer in your home is assigned a private internet address which cannot be reached from the outside, unless you explicitly allow it. The default setting is to block all inbound connection attempts and allow every outbound connection, but you can configure this to allow specific inbound connections, and disallow specific outbound connections, if you need to.

The Sky terms and conditions state that you must use the supplied router. Sky attempts to enforce this rule by not giving you your connection username and password. There is a (rather complicated) method of extracting the username and password, but after you've done that, the Sky router will be left in a different state from what it was in when it was delivered to you, so I'd advise against doing that.

canonman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newington
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The Sky terms and conditions state that you must use the supplied router. Sky attempts to enforce this rule by not giving you your connection username and password.
      I like to keep everything legit and I don't have the know how to hack the router...too complicated for me so please excuse my ignorance, Am I then correct to assume the username and password sent to me are different to whats in the router or somewhere else?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

the username/password for the internet login is hidden in the FW of the router...you'll get a username/password for email access but thats it...

tbh, those who hack the Sky router do so cause there are certain features that they require (e.g. VPN - although this does work according to some people on here). others just didnt read the T&C's when signing up but there you go...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket