Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow Sky Broadband!!!!!

This is a discussion on Slow Sky Broadband!!!!! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi All To start at the begining, i signed up to Talk Talk package in June,then after having bad service(Did ...

mervin1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01934
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy only connected when phone is on!

Hi All
      To start at the begining, i signed up to Talk Talk package in June,then after having bad service(Did not hear from Them) cancelled package 2 weeks later and opted for skys connect package.
      After a couple of weeks wait i received broadband speed from Sky of 1.5mb, which for my area is pretty good - I then went on my hols in september and came back to a letter from Talk Talk & BT saying Talk Talk had taken over my phone line!!!
      I contacted Talk Talk and they said it was there error (system repeat order) and they would cancel contract - I then signed back to BT for my phone line..long story short, I have never gone above 0.1mb since.
      I have had times when broadband would only connect when phone is on!!
      I have changed all filters, plus all other checks those bloody service people at Sky make you do for 30 mins every time you call!!!!!
      I have a netgear router and a belkin adapter,(speed is the same straight from phoneline as it is wireless)

One thing is that when i enter my password and check the speed on my netgear router it comes back telling me it is running at 2mb, but then do a speedtest online which gives a 0.1mb reading.Also had a BT engineer sent out by Sky(when i was at work) who after replacing a corroded wire told my wife that he was getting a 2mb reading - Never had it since!!
      Help...Driving me insane...Can not deal with those muppets from Sky anymore!!

I have tried a friends upgraded Netgear router and get the same slow readings.
      I also have interference on my line(Bt check says all is fine) and have heard because of a certain chipset that a speedtouch router would be the answer!!
      Sorry for so many questions, will explain more from my limited knowledge if needed....HELP!
      Last edited by mervin1; 22-01-08 at 03:46 PM.

2. Advertisement
      bazz007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Slow Sky Broadband!!!!!

Sounds like you've tried everything apart from a different p.c, when i first connected to sky my download speeds seemed fine but all speed test gave me shocking results, i used TCP optimizer which fixed it, i cannot find the original thread but you can download it here good luck SpeedGuide.net :: TCP Optimizer / Downloads

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Go to BT Speedtest enter your phone number then your ADSL username. This will do an official BT speed test and show your present profile. Your ADSL username is <the MAC number of your router, no colons, followed by> @skydsl You can also obtain this from the V1 router by using one of the utilities available on the forum. Copy and paste the result.

You should be able to use this report when phone Sky, but it will depend on who takes your call as Sky TS do not seem to be trained for Connect customers. This tester is always busy, it could take several attempts to get on.

Test Result

This is the official tester and if you speed if below a certain level, they must take action. Also post your Detailed stats(link below) and someone will tell you what you should reasonably expect from your conection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Go to BT Speedtest enter your phone number then your ADSL username. This will do an official BT speed test and show your present profile. Your ADSL username is <the MAC number of your router, no colons, followed by> @skydsl You can also obtain this from the V1 router by using one of the utilities available on the forum. Copy and paste the result.

You should be able to use this report when phone Sky, but it will depend on who takes your call as Sky TS do not seem to be trained for Connect customers. This tester is always busy, it could take several attempts to get on.

Test Result

This is the official tester and if you speed if below a certain level, they must take action. Also post your Detailed stats(link below) and someone will tell you what you should reasonably expect from your conection.
      this is not strictly true...if the IP profile is about 500kbps below the sync rate then the router is at the right speed...it then lends itself to a PC issue and one the EU must resolve not Sky...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I am sure the minimum acceptable speed is shown as part of the test and instructions are given to contact your ISP if below this. I am aware that this acceptable speed is very low and may in fact be lower than the OP is obtaining. I think the point is this user is only getting about 100kbps, which is hardly broadband speed. I honestly feel if Sky are not prepared to give proper support to their Connect users, they should not be offering the service.

EDIT - Pinched from Plusnet Help
      *BT will accept a fault report if the line rate drops by 20% or more from your established MSR, this is said to be below the Fault Threshold Rate. e.g. if the MSR during the first 10 days is determined as 5000kbps, a fault can be reported when your sync speed drops to 4000kbps or less.
      Last edited by Isitme; 23-01-08 at 04:20 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

what i mean if he's getting the right IP profile but the downloads are low then its a PC issue - of course if the IP profile is low then Sky will investigate...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket