Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

new alcatel router

This is a discussion on new alcatel router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; correct me if iam wrong but dident the french pioneer the dsl technology so does this give them more of ...

uk-guy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: cambuslang 0141
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

new sagem router

correct me if iam wrong but dident the french pioneer the dsl technology so does this give them more of a advantage in making better dsl modem routers just looking for other peoples opinions on sagem modems especially the new black one can anyone provide any info on sagem modems ie- how good they are
      sorry if it may sound like a stupid question
      Last edited by uk-guy; 19-01-08 at 07:49 PM.

2. Advertisement
      RobinUsesSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 020 8230
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: new alcatel router

Quote Originally Posted by uk-guy View Post
      correct me if iam wrong but dident the french pioneer the dsl technology so does this give them more of a advantage in making better dsl modem routers just looking for other peoples opinions on alcatel modems especially the new black one can anyone provide any info on alcatel modems ie- how good they are
      sorry if it may sound like a stupid question
      Erm afaik the only modems given out by sky are made by sagem and netgear.

uk-guy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: cambuslang 0141
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

oops i meant sagem sorry

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My dad's netgear v1 recently developed a problem so he asked for a replacement which turned out to be a sagem.

The netgear v1 only would connect at about 4Mb but would connect to the laptop wifi at 108Mb. The sagem miracuolously gets a full 8Mb connection but only connects to the laptop wifi at 54Mb.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The new sagem is running the new firmware, newer hardware often behaves better than the older models. Newer routers often have newer standards in use too.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

There seem to be some misunderstandings about the theoretical 108mb. In reality the max is 54mbs and perhaps half that due to wireless.

And, of course, your real speed is lmited by the feed from the ISP (not to mention all the bottlenecks created by bad phone wiring and on the internet). If the Sagem router provides 8mb against the Netgear's 4mb -- it's probably due to wireless reception (perhaps the Sagem is better, perhaps it's just positioned differently).

kevgg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01229
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Guys
      after joining sky last month i received the Sagem router. (Very nice looking)
      However, i always shut down at night and the Sagem has an on/off button on the back. For me this was a bonus. But after only 3 weeks it's developed a fault and i had to insist that Sky sent a replacement. This i now have but they sent the Netgear. It has a much stronger wireless signal. Time will tell...

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I always assumed that it was the Americans who were the first with ADSL technology. The first standard for ADSL was defined by ANSI - the American standards organisation, although development quickly became internationalised, with the release of the first international standard - G.DMT - following very shortly afterwards.

As for whether French equipment is better, I'd certainly rate French Alcatel exchange equipment above the American Globespan DSLAM, and Alcatel/Thomson ADSL routers are generally considered to be one of the better performing pieces of kit.

As for whether the Sagem Sky router is better than the V2 Netgear, I can't really say. In any case, the Sagem is based on the Broadcom BCM6348 ADSL2+ microcontroller which was most likely designed in America (although Broadcom do also have a design team here in the UK, at Cambridge), and the software was mostly off-the-shelf GPL'd code, so it's not really very French, despite the name. Mind you, the Sagem recovery utility does announce when its job is complete that "Your modem router found his configuration of origin" - which sounds very much like it was written by someone whose first language was French.

One thing's for sure, though, the Sagem router is a lot harder to crack than the Netgear V2 router.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      There seem to be some misunderstandings about the theoretical 108mb. In reality the max is 54mbs and perhaps half that due to wireless.
      That is the speed that windows reported connection at. I know real speed wont be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      And, of course, your real speed is lmited by the feed from the ISP (not to mention all the bottlenecks created by bad phone wiring and on the internet). If the Sagem router provides 8mb against the Netgear's 4mb -- it's probably due to wireless reception (perhaps the Sagem is better, perhaps it's just positioned differently).
      It's true that the bottleneck is the isp and on that front the sagem seems to be pretty much twice better, but I doubt the difference is due to wireless reception.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobinUsesSky View Post
      It's true that the bottleneck is the isp and on that front the sagem seems to be pretty much twice better, but I doubt the difference is due to wireless reception.
      I would have said the opposite is more likely. For two different ADSL routers to negotiate two different speeds on the same line, one twice as fast as the other, well, that seems very unlikely. I suppose if you're talking about really poor ADSL speeds, of the order of a few hundred kbit/sec, you might see that kind of difference between two routers, but generally speaking, you're not going to see a massive difference between two routers.

Seeing a big difference in wireless networking between two routers, on the other hand, I'd say that that's definitely possible Wireless networking technology is, quite honestly, pretty damned poor. If you put a wireless laptop within 50cm of a router, I'd still be surprised if you were actually able to get a full 54Mbit/sec.