Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Warning About Sky and Routers

This is a discussion on Warning About Sky and Routers within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; This is staggering and something I must let everyone know. Not even the cancellations department could understand this. If your ...

dpswatson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Warning About Sky and Routers

This is staggering and something I must let everyone know. Not even the cancellations department could understand this.

If your router goes down and needs replacing, you will get a brand new one. Even if it's the white netgear, you will get a new one - you have a warranty.

If your router goes out of warranty, Sky have NO PROVISIONS to sell you a new one and WILL NOT replace it free of charge, leaving you with a Sky internet bill and NO ROUTER and NO WAY OF ACCESSING THE WEB.

My router went down the Saturday week before Christmas, by chance the day before it went out of warranty. The tech support tier one guy had no quibbles and went ahead with the replacement BUT the computer decided that it was already out of warranty and would not let him replace it. He had to manually reorder one by sending an email to the router guys. After a week, and on Christmas eve, I telephoned asking where my router was and discovered that none had been ordered.

Four weeks later and no-one can get me a router. Cancellations, No; Tech Support Tier one or top tier, no; Customer Services, no; Sky main customer services, no.

The excuses were endless, computers were down, I have a wierd flag on my account, the email was lost - even that a Team Leader (who I could NEVER talk to by the way) was too lazy to deal withmy router and that I had no alternative to leaver Sky because there was nothing else they could do!

I got my MAC code, although was reluctant to leave - purely because I pay a tenner for a product that costs at least 15 pounds more elsewhere. Not even the threat of leaving was able to get me anywhere.

I spoke one last possible time to Cancellations (who are the ONLY SkyBB dept that I can guarantee speak English, or would give a damn). I said that thy should sell me a new router, charge my Sky account and refund me the difference. The guy said 'good idea' and went away to find out how to sell me one. The guy came back and said (I quote) that he could not believe he was telling me this but the only way I can get Broadband back was to go somewhere else, that there was NO WAY OF PURCHASING A ROUTER ONCE IT WENT OUT OF WARRANTY. In my case, even though it was in warranty, gross neglagence was the cause of me not getting one.

He did eventually put me through to the rudest person I have ever spoken too to get a router sent out. She scournfull said she needed my router s/n and mac code (they don't keep a record ?!?!?!?) but I was at work so just gave up.

Luckilly I was prudent enough to rip the user name and p/w from the netgear as soon as the utility was put on this excellent forum and I eventually went to Comet to get a Belkin N router (which, took me four minutes to unpack and get set up with all pcs in my house).

Be warned, get your passwords from your routers or you could be in big trouble. Three people told me on three occasions that I had to leave Sky. Believe me, I would happilly but the line has just got stable (took months to tech support for them to finally get it sorted) and 100 pounds for a new router was better than 15 a month extra for broadband.

Again, GET YOUR PASSWORDS ASAP.

UPDATE:
      Randomly, my router arrived today by courier. No idea why because they never said they were going to get me one. I have not and will not get it out of the box. I need this one as a backup in case it goes out of warranty.....

2. Advertisement
      paulcarrm9mx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Warning About Sky and Routers

can NR stickie this because it is very important i think

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Can this be correct?
      I've been thinking of getting a spare Sky router off ebay, some of the new ones are available now.
      Could one of the Sky posters comment?

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

***stickied*** by requests.

Definitely something that needs addressing, as the T and C's seem to indicate that a replacement router would be made available.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

dpswatson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That's what I said, but they just offered me a MAC code instead. The only reason I got the replacement was because my 100th rep chased it up, and because when I called it was in warranty.

The CS and Cancellations were as dismayed as me when they were told by their team leaders that you cannot buy a new router.

TheVoyager is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: WRBRIX
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Unl.Fibre
      Router: TP-Link VR2600
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB *2
      Thanks

This is totally unbelieveable, good job I have a spare one just in case :-)
      I would think this would be one for the OFT or something similar.
      I can understand them not wanting to give them out willy nilly for free, but some sort of minimal cost should be available.

As an afterthought I wonder if it is covered in the SKY Repair Plan that I have.
      Bob

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheVoyager View Post
      As an afterthought I wonder if it is covered in the SKY Repair Plan that I have.
      See here for one forumer's experience with trying to get a replacement router under his Sky repair plan.

RickyC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Salford
      Broadband ISP: Mid/JNET
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

as far as i understood that if the router failed after the first year they would provide a new one free of charge!

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

But the router is your property and according to the T&C's, it's only guaranteed for one year. Say your Sky TV receiver failed 13 months after it was installed. You have to have a Sky TV receiver to make use of your Sky TV subscription, but you'd definitely have to pay to get it replaced if you don't have a repair plan. I can't see any difference with the router. The problem is, however, that there doesn't seem to be any kind of mechanism to place an order for replacement router. Something of an oversight, to say the least.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Its an oversight that they are looking into at the moment and currently they are manually working around the problem.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast