Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Warning About Sky and Routers

This is a discussion on Warning About Sky and Routers within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; ^^ i have sent a PM to someone who may be able to help Sorry, i had the wrong end ...

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Warning About Sky and Routers

^^ i have sent a PM to someone who may be able to help

Sorry, i had the wrong end of the stick, cannot help
      Last edited by richone54; 02-03-08 at 10:23 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      The Sky Broadband Terms and Conditions do require you to use the router which Sky supplied to you. Using a router that was originally owned by someone else still breaks the T&C's, even if it happens to have a Sky label on it.
      Yes but the question is do Sky keep records of every Sky router username and password logged against a Sky account and/or phone number? Given their apparently shambolic handling of almost everything customer services related I'm willing to bet they don't. Theres only way to find out of course.

Or thinking about it would it not be possible to dump the router firmware and using a hex editor or something hack the original username and password back into the file and flash the new router with it?
      Last edited by Chug a Bug; 07-03-08 at 10:29 PM.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Well, it's a bit hit-and-miss really, because I understand that the customer account records only contain one username/MAC address.

As to the hex editor idea, that definitely won't work. The username and password might seem to be permanently stored in the firmware, but in fact it's the algorithm for the username and password which is in the firmware.

In the case of the V1 router, when the router is first switched on, that algorithm takes the MAC address of the router and creates the username (which is simply MAC address + "@skydsl") and the password (which is obtained by passing the MAC address through what's known as a hashing function) and stores them in a block of flash memory which is used for storing configuration variables.

In the case of the V2 routers, the algorithm takes the router's MAC address and its serial number to determine the ADSL password. Also, instead of storing the password with all the other configuration variables, the router calculates the password "on-the-fly" every time the router tries to connect to Sky, in an attempt to make it more difficult to extract.

The box the router comes in is scanned with a barcode reader prior to despatch, and the details from the barcode are used to add the username and password to the RADIUS authentication servers, using the same algorithm that the router uses. So once the router is delivered, you can plug it in, and it should connect, using the correct username and password.

It is possible to change the MAC address of a router (and it's serial number, in the case of a V2 router) but it's not exactly easy. Probably the least difficult way to do it is to solder on a console connection and hook it up to a PC with a level changer. But even then, in the case of the V2 routers, you'd only be able to substitute one type of router with the same type. Of course, the V1 routers can be programmed with any username and password.

lindakay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: farnwoth North West
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

my router was constantly cutting off i contacted sky and explained thta my router was cold even the power supply was cold and that i hadn't turned it off so it should have been reasonably warm they have sent me a new router i had the version 1 netgear i now have the segam not sure if there of the version yet need to find out how to get to the interface

bigmike20vt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01440
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk Fibre
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

ahhh so reading this, does that mean if sky were to send me a new router, my V1 router would cease to work? i was wondering if sky would send me a replacement with all the issues i have been having but was thinking my old one would make a handy spare!.
      Fiat Coupe. Gone but not forgotten

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky are able to send out replacement routers if they are oow. I have sent out loads in the past and probably will send more out.

Just need to get through to the right people. Obviously don't jump up and down like a spoilt brat saying I want a replacement just go through the process and one may turn up.

twocrazymonkies is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whiteabbey
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

googlme, are you, if you don't mind me asking, in the Belfast centre? Saying "one may turn up" isn't the most reassuring thing I've ever heard!

Truth is, they do arrive, but take slightly longer as form needs to be filled in then passed to management staff who then process the requests manually before they are dispatched.
      Last edited by twocrazymonkies; 20-05-08 at 01:04 PM.
      "Is your router definately plugged into the master telephone socket, sir?"
      "YES! SO WHY CAN'T I DO MY WIRELESS?"
      "How far away from the router are you?"
      "I'M IN SPAIN"
      True story.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry if you took it that way, It was supposed to be slightly jokey. Yeah one will turn up.

As you are right twocrazymonkies, information has to be filled out it does takes slightly longer for the information to thread through.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Aye but hopefully one day soon they will sort the system so we don't have to keep sending info to people just so that they can fill the same info into another sheet and send it to someone else lol

Exchange:
      Thanks

Is a pain. They are trying to sort it, yet it is failing misserably, as you ^ propably know.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast