Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Warning About Sky and Routers

This is a discussion on Warning About Sky and Routers within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by HSNetwork Hello and welcome, Without wanting to come across im harping on about the same thing or ...

audioslim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Warning About Sky and Routers

Quote Originally Posted by HSNetwork View Post
      Hello and welcome,

Without wanting to come across im harping on about the same thing or attempting to start and arguement, I simply cannot see the justification why there should be a charge for a bit of equipment that a person is being forced to use in order to obtain the service.

I still think if this is the angle that sky are taking then a person should have the freedom to use their own equipment and simply be given the details in order to do this.

Otherwise all thats being done really is stealing (or this is my pov anyway).
      It's certainly ripe for challenging that's for sure.

Does anybody know the price for a replacement router, if you do manager to get through to the right people.
      If it's anywhere above RRP of a router of similiar spec by the same company then you have got Sky by the short and curlys as that is price fixing I'm afraid.

Slim

2. Advertisement
      gernot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01782
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question : How did you get your Belkin to work without your user name and password.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by audioslim View Post
      Does anybody know the price for a replacement router, if you do manager to get through to the right people.
      If it's anywhere above RRP of a router of similiar spec by the same company then you have got Sky by the short and curlys as that is price fixing I'm afraid.
      Price fixing is where two supposedly competing companies collude to offer a product at a higher price than market forces would otherwise have set. For example, if someone at Shell phones up someone at BP and says, "If you raise your petrol prices by 5p a litre, then we'll do the same," that would be illegal. If on the other hand, Shell just decided to double its petrol prices, that would be perfectly legal.

Sky are entitled to charge whatever they like for a replacement router. Because the router is essential to the provision of the service, there might be a possible claim that the cost of the replacement router is effectively part of the cost of the service. Adding the cost of the router in effect constitutes a price rise of more than 10% - the level at which you can ask for the contract to be cancelled without penalty, as set out in the terms and condition. But then, you'll only be charged for a replacement if you've been with Sky for more than 12 months, so you'd be able to cancel the service anyway.

Ultimately, the only real restriction on what Sky can charges its customers is what the market place can sustain.

ononotagain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01296
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post

Sky are entitled to charge whatever they like for a replacement router. Because the router is essential to the provision of the service,
      But if they take the stupid restriction of only using Sky routers out of the equation then that (essential) part is redundant and anyone could pick up a capable router for pennies nowadays.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. You did see the full stop between the words "router" and "Because", didn't you? The text you quoted makes it look like I was claim that Sky could charge whatever it like because it has its customer by the short and curlies, which isn't what I was saying at all.

Any retailer is entitled to charge anything they like for an item, provided they haven't colluded with their supposed competitors to maintain an artificially high price. That's the law.

However, if Sky were to charge for a replacement router, it probably could be claimed that under the terms and conditions, the cost of the router was part of the cost of the product, and thus would constitute a price rise of more than 10%, which entitles the customer, according to the terms and conditions, to terminate the contract without prejudice.

jurasic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: rownhams
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Talking Re: Warning About Sky and Routers

Hi guys.I joined sky broadband from BT, last Feb.It took over 6 weeks to get me online.The main problem was my exchange was not man enough to give me 7mbps,let alone 16mbps.In the end sky capped me at 3mbps which is what i am on now.
      In the 6weeks of wrangling trying to get connected i recieved a spare Netgear router from Sky (Which i now will keep safe.) after reading this report.
      I also have ripped my password and login from the router and have connected with a Cable&wireless router with no probs.The trouble with the Netgear router was that the speed was all over the place.So i have just flashed the router with the latest firmware and Guess what?, a constant 3mbps no probs.

So a word of advise to any newcomers,READ THESE MESSAGES and you just might save yourselves a lot of hassle.
      Jurasic.

Simon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLWW
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: Youview
      Thanks

Similar story to the original poster..

Having had Sky broadband for approx 1 year now with very little cause for complaint I have to say a recent call to Sky support was cause for concern!

For a few weeks now my router as been making a weird buzzing noise. Unplugging and rebooting clears the buzzing but it usually returns after a day or so.

On Sunday I called Sky support and explained the problem to be told my router was a few days out of warranty and was informed they could'nt replace it free of charge. So I asked if it was ok to go buy a new router and could they supply me my username password? Now I've known these login details for a long time, but the Sky agent said they didn't have access to this information as they are set by the manufacturer prior despatch. So I asked could I buy a new router from Sky only to be told no we don't sell them they are provided on ordering Sky broadband!!

So it would seem if your router develops a fault outside the 1yr warranty your stuffed as Sky say you must use the router they provide. It would seem the only course of action is to cancel Sky and re-order which is nothing short of madness!

Whoever wrote the T&C's must have been half asleep at the time.

worcesterman47 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: charles street 01905 724
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

hi all. i have been reading this thread & found it very interesting..but as a total newcomer to sky ( transferred a few days ago ) what interests me is the use of "password & username" are these different to my username & password that i use for instance to access my email .as thats the only username & password i have...does the router use a different password & username then ? as people have been saying that they cannot get theres from sky for instance when router fails etc..i am only asking as i would like to be prepared in the event of a router failure in the future ( best to be prepared ) many thanks in advance

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

There's the username and password that comes on the handy card - this is your WiFi username and password

There's the UN and PW for the email which comes in your welcome letter.

Then there's the UN and PW for the ADSL connection in the router (the sky firmware hides these fields).

worcesterman47 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: charles street 01905 724
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      There's the username and password that comes on the handy card - this is your WiFi username and password

There's the UN and PW for the email which comes in your welcome letter.

Then there's the UN and PW for the ADSL connection in the router (the sky firmware hides these fields).

so in the event of a router failure and failure to get the "hidden" password & username...could i or not..go out by another totally new router & use my known login details etc to access sky once again..sorry if this is a stupid question but am pretty new at this ..thanks again

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast