Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Warning About Sky and Routers

This is a discussion on Warning About Sky and Routers within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by eyemdee I am flabbergasted that a company like Sky could put themselves in breach of their own ...

RickyC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Salford
      Broadband ISP: Mid/JNET
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Warning About Sky and Routers

Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
      I am flabbergasted that a company like Sky could put themselves in breach of their own contract!

If they insist that you use a router which they supply and cannot issue a replacement if it fails, then they cannot provide the service that they have advertised and sold, and are surely open to compensation claims if customers are forced elsewhere.
      exactly and a nice bit of compensation too. Just need to keep on complaining and complaining till they sick of you!

2. Advertisement
      HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I have to admit it is a little scary to hear this, but it brings the subject all the way back round to another thread that is already ongoing.

This being that there is a directive in place stating that it is the customers decision what equipment to use and so should be permitted to use what ever the customer feels fit.

Sky insisting only their equipment be used and then not being able to replace it if it fails is just something that re-inforces the fact that this directive should be upheld. If sky cannot replace the router they should hand out the Username and Passwords and instruct the customer on where their nearest Currys, PC World or Comet is.

This then would take the strain from sky and their techs to sort through the list of jobs to do...
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

dpswatson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
      I am flabbergasted that a company like Sky could put themselves in breach of their own contract!

If they insist that you use their own router and cannot supply a replacement if it fails, then they cannot provide the service that they have advertised and sold, and are surely open to compensation claims if customers are forced elsewhere.
      Don't get me wrong - they were happy to keep refunding my monthly fee.

As an extra, I found it a little tricky getting a mac code - they wanted to try to resolve the problem first, which obviously didn't happen. Out of interest I telephoned BT to ask if you could forcibly remove broadband from a line (like you can with the phone calls). You can't.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

this has been covered before - there is a system in place but as mentioned it's a tad more long winded. and afaik, there's no charge either...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks
      Blog Entries

You can in fact.

But it is a long painful route. It means cutting of your phone and then waiting for the tag to be removed as the line is no longer active.

The first and only time I took this route it took 3 months. But then I cant complain as I had free broadband during this time lol. (AOL pfft)
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

"Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

ScottW75 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just called them as my netgear switches itself off on occasion. They guy i spoke to said there would be a charge and then decided after i was on hold for 5 mins there was no charge and i'd get a box in the next 3-5 days.

I hope this doesn't involve canceling my broadband!

Mark2008 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hello, i came across this site & was particularly interested in this thread.

i work for sky bb tech support tier1, the department that will usually replace routers.
      whenever a customer is out of warranty we are unable to replace, now this isn't an issue that i've came across too many times however when it does happen i will put the cust through to sales.
      whenever i explain the issue to sales they have no problem taking the call. now afaik sales can replace the router without any issues (altho there's a charge), however i have never actually heard how these calls end.

it wouldn't surprise me if cancellations etc didn't know how to get a replacement for an out of warranty cust because it isn't their department, but as far as i realise it isn't a problem to get a replacement?

Kbramman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dulwich
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Maybe this is worth someone (NewsReader maybe?) to do a quick email to ofcom with this thread, and others like it and ask them to kick sky up the jacksy

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

As has been said before, this situation is being looked at and a definitive resolution is to be sorted by March, in the mean time out of warranty replacements can be done but they are done via a different process and can take a couple of days longer as they are done manually via escalation.
      Once the resolution is sorted out and in place hopefully things will be a lot easier, clearer and better explained to all people involved.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark2008 View Post
      hello, i came across this site & was particularly interested in this thread.

i work for sky bb tech support tier1, the department that will usually replace routers.
      whenever a customer is out of warranty we are unable to replace, now this isn't an issue that i've came across too many times however when it does happen i will put the cust through to sales.
      whenever i explain the issue to sales they have no problem taking the call. now afaik sales can replace the router without any issues (altho there's a charge), however i have never actually heard how these calls end.

it wouldn't surprise me if cancellations etc didn't know how to get a replacement for an out of warranty cust because it isn't their department, but as far as i realise it isn't a problem to get a replacement?
      Hello and welcome,

Without wanting to come across im harping on about the same thing or attempting to start and arguement, I simply cannot see the justification why there should be a charge for a bit of equipment that a person is being forced to use in order to obtain the service.

I still think if this is the angle that sky are taking then a person should have the freedom to use their own equipment and simply be given the details in order to do this.

Otherwise all thats being done really is stealing (or this is my pov anyway).
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast