Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

OMG, I'm actually happy with my Sky BB speeds but...

This is a discussion on OMG, I'm actually happy with my Sky BB speeds but... within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Why is it, when downloading on my newsgroups, it doesn't goto max speed straight away? Sometimes, when I start downloading, ...

phillai is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Knottingley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OMG, I'm actually happy with my Sky BB speeds but...

Why is it, when downloading on my newsgroups, it doesn't goto max speed straight away?

Sometimes, when I start downloading, the speeds stays stuck at a pitfully slow 50k a sec rather than rise to my normal average speeds of 1600k.

I'm on 16mb Sky Max and typically get 1600k download speeds but I've noticed recently that all I just need to do is close down my newsgroup download client and restart it again and it will go back to normal speeds.

I'm 579m away from my exchange and the Sky D834GT router is less than 20 cm next to the ADSL Nation Face plate.

I got this running wirelessly and I also have the official Netgear PCI wireless 108 mbps card on my PC.

Sorry I can't post anything else about my setup - I'm at work!

It's NOT a serious problem but it seems to be more of an ANNOYING problem that I need to deal with every few days.

I download on newsgroups everyday.

Anyone else had this problem? I'm sure I'm not the only person with this problem, I read a thread on this somewhere else on the sky user forums but I can't find it!

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: OMG, I'm actually happy with my Sky BB speeds but...

If obliquely you're asking whether Sky is throttling your download speeds then the answer is no, they're not.

There could be so many reasons you're seeing this behaviour. My guesses in order of probability:
      • your wireless connection is struggling to cope with the data volume
      • your newsfeed just happens to work that way
      • your PC/client is struggling to write the data fast enough