Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Router Freeze, Loss of Connection Possible Fix

This is a discussion on Router Freeze, Loss of Connection Possible Fix within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have reconnected my first sky router as it tends to sync higher than the replacement they sent (obviously a ...

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router Freeze, Loss of Connection Possible Fix

I have reconnected my first sky router as it tends to sync higher than the replacement they sent (obviously a difference between same routers but that aside).

I think i may have cracked it - thanks to posts from other on here.

(1) UPnP is broke - don't use it - it can cause your router to loose connection with your wireless clients.

(2) Speed selection - either select Auto 108 or b & g - if not the speeds on your wireless clients can take a nosedive every 20 mins or so. Note that you do not need 108 wireless adaptors on your client to select and use this setting. Just hope your neighbors don't use channel 6 and are too close. If you are having problems on channel 6 select b&g and another channel - this setting appears stable. An aside to this is if you are using wpa security it is best to leave transmission of your ssid on so others can see and avoid your channel stopping any interference - there are no security issues with this despite what others may say.

Best time to start the process below is after 8pm in the evening.

Leave the router to run for about 1 hour, do lots of speed tests and keep an eye on your Noise Margin. You may see your speed test results dropping by about as much as 1 MB over this period. If your NM is about 6.1 or 6.2 after a few speed tests - do a reboot from your control panel 192.168.0.1. After the reboot your sync speed will probably drop, but your actual download speed will increase and your NM will increase. This will give you a more stable connection and give you the highest download speeds possible. You may notice that when you run a speed test, your NM value will drop slightly but should go back up again.

Run again for about 1 hour and repeat if necessary.

Then leave your router on all the time if possible.

I now have 2 pc's connected wirelessly, with their firewalls ON (XP), the office network is all OK, no disconnects/freezes and no falling speeds.

The downside in doing this is that you will loose your gateway icon - so you will not readily see your connection speed, you will have to login to your router to get this.

If you play online games, you will need to configure the settings manually - or there are tools to do this for you at a price.

================================================== =====
      How to do this if you are not sure and using your router for the first time
      ================================================== =====

(1) Just connect your router to the power and telephone socket and then either using your wireless connection (you will need to enter the passphrase given by sky) or your wired connection, put http://192.168.0.1 into your browser url and press enter. You should see a login box appear, put admin and sky as the password(unless you have changed it). Your router screen should appear.

(2) Select the UPnP option at the bottom (by log off) and untick Turn UPnP On. Then click Apply
      (3) Select Wireless Setting option (at the top) and select Mode Auto 108 Mbps. The click Apply at the bottom. If there are any other neigbors using channel 6 select b&g and a channel not obviously in use. If this still cuases peoblems try another channel (it would really help if people transmit their ssid so we can see what channels are being used!)
      (4) Select Router Status (under Maintenance) and click show Statistics - this will show you your Noise Margin (NM) as discussed above.
      (5)Do your 1 hour run exercising your connection as much as possible by doing lots of speed test and downloads
      (6)After 1 hour, select the Diagnostics option (under Maintenance) and click Reboot. This will do a software reboot. You will loose your connection temporarily while it completes.
      (7) Your done and should now have a stable connection. If not repeat from step (5)
      Last edited by dingdong; 26-10-06 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Speed selector update

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I am really please to see you are having more luck with the Sky router now at least it goes to show that all the advice being sheared on the site is finally paying dividends

Lets hope your findings will help other members.

Made the post a sticky
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

flogster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ewell
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      dingdong, this speed selector bit, is that found on the sky router or elswhere. All of the above, is this for general usage or relating to a specific problem you've experienced?

17" Intel iMac Mutts Nuts - OS 10.4.8
      (also running Windows via Boot Camp)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Early days yet - but looking good.

Note that - if your connection is not giving you any problems, then you do not need to follow the fix below.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flogster View Post
      dingdong, this speed selector bit, is that found on the sky router or elswhere. All of the above, is this for general usage or relating to a specific problem you've experienced?
      The speed selector is Wirless Settings

Note that - if your connection is not giving you any problems, then you do not need to follow the fix below.

flogster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ewell
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up

Well, I was a tad concerned that my download speeds weren't nudging the sync stats, but just tweaking your two tips (UPnP & Speed Selector) has for the first time seen me get over 300KB/sec. On a recent big download it actually peaked for a bit at 320KB/sec and steadying out at 310KB over the course of the download.

Good work fella!

17" Intel iMac Mutts Nuts - OS 10.4.8
      (also running Windows via Boot Camp)

firestorm_westy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bedford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Made the changes - Will see how it goes!

keeping fingers firmly crossed!

mrmojo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      UPnP works absolutely fine for me on an all wireless client network.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@mrmojo : Do you have XP SP2 with all the latest security updates installed.

PS. I have now been connected for over 4 hours since my reboot (i only had to do one - see first post) and my connection is fine :-) So it certainly seesm to have been the cure for all my ills, and belive me i had them all. Just need sky to get onto netgear and make them update their software so it works as it should.
      Last edited by dingdong; 17-09-06 at 06:23 PM.

murdock is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Great work Ding Dong.

I have never had a disconnect problem but I am only connected with the LAN connection. This may support your analysis. I do not need the wireless connection. A few weeks ago I recall someone writing that first you should only connect with the LAN after leaving the router on for an hour or so. Then let the connection settle down before making a wireless connection.

I have not changed any settings or installed the Sky software. I just launch my Explorer browser.

My motto is "If it aint broke don't fix it". Long may my router stay as it is.
      Last edited by murdock; 17-09-06 at 06:45 PM.

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 14-10-13, 06:33 PM
    2. 25-07-13, 08:09 AM
    3. 02-10-08, 10:51 AM
    4. 28-03-08, 08:11 PM
    5. 28-03-08, 05:21 PM
    6. 22-03-08, 11:24 AM
    7. 06-03-08, 06:18 PM
    8. 18-02-08, 08:50 PM
    9. 16-01-08, 10:35 PM
    10. 11-01-08, 11:15 PM