Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Router Freeze, Loss of Connection Possible Fix

This is a discussion on Router Freeze, Loss of Connection Possible Fix within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Yep - aimed at you - thought it might help you get to the problem faster. Sky haven't changed too ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Router Freeze, Loss of Connection Possible Fix

Yep - aimed at you - thought it might help you get to the problem faster.

Sky haven't changed too much in the firmware other than locking in a password/username and locking out access to it (though as you'll have seen there's a hack). Trouble is playing around with the code can have unforeseen effects. In this case though, I think the problem is between the firmware in the router and Sky's LLU exchange equipment/firmware. Personally I haven't seen a convincing case that the standard netgear firmware is any more stable than the Sky version.

New firmware should be available soon as I believe Sky has finished testing it. Rumour has it that a number of problems are resolved and it will work better with Sky's equipment. Time will tell. The downside is I believe they've closed the hack so neither Mossywell's app or Mognuts' will work on it.

2. Advertisement
      jimscrivener is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hastings
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many thanks Saturday!

I think my problem is noise margin - but I am having some problems getting my head around the issues.

The Sky router typically gives a noise margin of between 7.5 and 6.5 but frequently falls lower. I guess this is why I get disconnected - but how to control it is eluding me. (yes - I do have upnp off).

Bizarrely using the old non-Sky Netgear router gives a noise margin reading of either 3db or 0db (or a ridiculously high number in the hundreds of thousands which apparently means a negative figure) in the evening or currently (8.30 Sunday) it's 11. Yet this router manages to hold an almost constant link. If it does disconnect it immediately reconnects by itself. But - I thought that lower figures meant more problems?

Two questions:

I can't see how either way of setting noise margin affects the router.

In the Bounce Sky Router configuration - am I right that the line <setting name="snr_reboot_threshold" serializeAs="String">
      <value>0</value> could have the figure 7 inserted instead of 0? But what does this do? I have tried this and the figure for noise margin still moves around. The help files suggest that the router should reboot if the nm falls below that figure - but it doesn't.

Similarly - on the Mognuts web page utility, I've tried setting the target noise margin to 7 - which leads to the ping page and I think an auto reboot - but what happens then? As far as I can see the noise margin figure still wobbles around?

I think there is something I've missed about this noise margin issue!

Jim

Exchange:
      Thanks

If you haven't already, have a read of the first sticky in my signature.

Yes, the Sky router will always sync at the highest speed it can for a minimum noise margin of 6.9db. Noise then changes through the day so therefore the noise margin will too.

You can't meaningfully compare noise margins between routers and other ADSL services.

There's no point in using Bounce or Mognuts to set the margin at 7db as that's what it would do anyway of its own accord. You need to increase your noise margin so that it stays above 7db through the day. If using Mognuts for instance at a quiet time of day then you might need to set it at 12db. At a noisy time of day, say 9db.

If after reading the sticky you still don't understand noise margin, post back or pm me.

Griff_uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      OK - here's a quick guide to disconnection problems:

Line errors will cause disconnections but whether you have a poor line I can't say as you haven't posted any stats. If you do have a line problem, disconnections caused by errors happen after a few hours or days of connection until they build up to a level where the connection can't cope. They don't usually happen at regular times of day or very frequently. Rebooting the router "clears" the errors which then start to build again repeating the cycle.....
      If the disconnections are completely random and fairly frequent then it may be intermittent noise spikes either caused by an external influence (e.g. thermostat kicking in) or a wiring/router cable fault.

HTH
      Hi Saturday et al.

I haven't posted here before and we have only just had sky broadband for a few weeks at our shared house and up until last week there were no problems but now we are repeatedly being frozen out of the internet (e.g. msn goes down or emails/downloads stop etc.) whilst still keeping connected to the wireless network.
      I have tried reading through this forum (quite an ordeal for someone like me I can tell you as not too hot on this stuff) and have turned off UPnP and looked up the line stats which look great compared to others (I think!):
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 30521 43656 0 110 591 19:15:35
      LAN 10M/100M 1886 0 0 6 0 19:16:32
      WLAN 11M/54M 48484 40965 0 618 124 19:16:22

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2048 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 42.0 db 24.0 db
      Noise Margin 17.3 db 13.0 db

I was wondering, as there are lots of sky users around this area according to the number of wireless networks I could attempt to join, would changing channel improve things? Or any other suggestions? I have an old router from our last provider but don't want to try and configure that just yet if someone has a better idea to improve this sky one.

Sorry if I'm confused but thanks so much for any help in advance!!!
      Griff

littlefeat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I've tried tweaking the router settings and nothing worked, well not for long!
      I have a Dell 5150 dimension with a Linskeys wireless G PCI card.

I disconnected/unplugged all router/telephone cables and uninstalled the Linsky's PCI card driver (in my case, the rt61 driver) found in:
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\...

Next, I opened the control panel, clicked add/remove programs and I uninstalled my NIC driver (make sure you have the driver on disc to reinstall it afterwards). It should warn you first!...
      Skip this part if you don't have the back-up driver but I think I had conflict issue; you may not have!

Then I opened up the p.c. and removed the Linsky's PCI card from the computer (you may not have to do this but I was just being thorough)

I rebooted and loaded the PCI software disc, rebooted again (it will ask you to shutdown and install the PCI card anyway, so I did this), then rebooted and disabled all firewalls, including Windows Firewall in the control panel, security centre.
      Then I ran the SKY broadband disc and followed the cable/router reconnection steps to the letter.

Now I have full connection, although, an icon shows that I am not connected!
      So I left it for a day with no problems and then reinstalled my NIC driver from my DRIVERS disc that I previously uninstalled and everything works fine.

Now I have internet, I visited here: Internet Connection Drops Repeatedly
      and printed the page for info.

and also downloaded from here:
      Support Page
      and in my case downloaded Filmware Version 1.02.09, although there is a later version but read the fixes first, which are listed.
      I will install this only should the problem persist!

Good Luck!

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I'm currently using the sky DG834GT with the sky firmware. Before when i was on the Netgear firmware the router behaved exactly the same sure it made it a BIT more stable but the bottom line was it couldnt cope with a low SNR. I hope the new firmware allows the router to keep on working with a Low SNR.

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I did the 1hour exercise and rebooted the router i dont know how but the routers SNR can drop as low as 4.5 and i still get a stabe internet connection not sure if the 1 hour exercise is to thank i dont know but thanks for making this thread it really helped!

pscocoa is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0127632742
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Thanks

I use Sky Broadband at my parents house when visiting and it locks out every 20 - 40 minutes. Until I read the threads here and having (obviously now with hindsight) been lied to by Sky and given my parents house is an older house, I thought it might have been a spike in the electrics of the house. I am absolutely astounded to see all of you trying to find solutions to something that is clearly SKY's responsibility and the lengths to which you have gone. I have used ORANGE for many years (previously WANADOO and FREESERVE) with nowhere near these hassles. SKY told me that there was no fault and yet how can they deny this in the face of user experience from this forum. Not only are they reducing the viewing quality content of the services they are blatantly lying when it comes to known problems.

I will give the UPnP a try but more likely bin the lot and go to a decent company. A bunch of cheats this SKY mob.
      Last edited by pscocoa; 27-11-07 at 10:47 PM.

simtg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have had Sky broadband before and have since moved and received the New
      Sky router. I have wired up the router with no problems except that when i answer my land line connection drops completely and i have to reconnect to the internet after i have put the phone down!

Anybody have any ideas why this is or have i done something wrong?

Cheers

Exchange:
      Thanks

Most times that points to a filter problem. Have you fitted a microfilter to the phone? Every device (phone/digibox etc) must have its own filter. If it's not a missing filter then it/they are incorrectly fitted.

If it's not a filter problem then it could be an exchange equipment problem or a faulty phone/router, but either of those would be unlikely.

Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 14-10-13, 06:33 PM
    2. 25-07-13, 08:09 AM
    3. 02-10-08, 10:51 AM
    4. 28-03-08, 08:11 PM
    5. 28-03-08, 05:21 PM
    6. 22-03-08, 11:24 AM
    7. 06-03-08, 06:18 PM
    8. 18-02-08, 08:50 PM
    9. 16-01-08, 10:35 PM
    10. 11-01-08, 11:15 PM