Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Router Freeze, Loss of Connection Possible Fix

This is a discussion on Router Freeze, Loss of Connection Possible Fix within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Have you disabled upnp on your router?...

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks
      Have you disabled upnp on your router?

2. Advertisement
      Scarlini is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haslington
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yeah did that but not connecting wirelessly anyway

Thanks
      upnp isn't anything to do with wireless, AFAIK. If you have only been connected for a few days, you may just be suffering from the 10 day settling in period where BT tests your lines for the best stable speed, but I'm sure someone else on here would be able to advise you more ... there could be a problem with the line itself.

If I were you there first thing I would do it switch off the router and keep it switched off for at least an hour, before switching it back on again; ensure you have the correct number of filters installed in the right places; try changing the filter that the router is plugged into; try plugging the router into the filter on the main incoming BT socket ...

I hope that helps, and I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable than me can give you more pointers.

Best of luck!

Scarlini is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haslington
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yeah might be something to do with the 10 day period. Cheers for your help anyway

Thanks
      I'd just like to say that I got a follow-up call from Sky today, following on from my initial disconnections/router freezing problems where the problem was sent up to "Tier 3".

The conversation (with a very difficult to understand chap!) went a bit like this:

Sky: "we understand you had some problems and we've looked into them but cannot find anything wrong with the line, etc"
      Me: "I did have some problems, I fixed them myself, however I also received a letter from Sky saying there had also been a problem on the line, which has now been fixed, resulting in an increase in speed".
      Sky: "so there are no problems now?"
      Me: "well, apart from the fact that the router doesn't work properly out of the box ... which I think you should pass onto your colleagues - the uPnP doesn't work on it"
      Sky: "you may need to connect it directly, rather than using wireless"
      Me: "No, the uPnP - I AM connecting directly, and the uPnP is nothing to do with wireless"
      Sky: "Oh, we don't support the router hardware, that's the manufacturer. I can give you their number, I think they have a 24 hour helpline"
      Me: "I don't want to ring them, I've sorted it, but I think you should pass on a message to the support staff that it doesn't work, so they know when it crops up again"
      Sky: "I can give you the manufacturers number"
      Me: "No, I don't want their number, I want you to pass on the information to someone who cares that they should be training their staff about this problem"
      Sky: "We don't issue support for the router"
      Me: "It's your router, we can't connect with anything other than your router to make it easier for you to support any problems with it, you HAVE to support it".
      Sky: "I can give you the manufacturers number"

LOL. Needless to say, I didn't think there was any point in continuing the conversation ...

kraftee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ruddington
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      I'd just like to say that I got a follow-up call from Sky today, following on from my initial disconnections/router freezing problems where the problem was sent up to "Tier 3".

The conversation (with a very difficult to understand chap!) went a bit like this:

Sky: "we understand you had some problems and we've looked into them but cannot find anything wrong with the line, etc"
      Me: "I did have some problems, I fixed them myself, however I also received a letter from Sky saying there had also been a problem on the line, which has now been fixed, resulting in an increase in speed".
      Sky: "so there are no problems now?"
      Me: "well, apart from the fact that the router doesn't work properly out of the box ... which I think you should pass onto your colleagues - the uPnP doesn't work on it"

SNIP

LOL. Needless to say, I didn't think there was any point in continuing the conversation ...
      Sorry I'm coming in a bit late on this thread but I had exactly the same type of run around about getting the service running, let alone getting the router to work properly.

Thanks for the UPNP tips but I also found that I had to reflash the router with the firmware package contained on the CD in order to get the auto connect to work (I was suffering the buffer over run reboot syndrome).

Unfortunately now I've cured that I've now got the (apparently) buffer over lock up now .

Netgear were never any good in getting this problem sorted in the past so I used more professional gear on other ISPs but now I am in a position where it's starting to look like I need to reboot the router every day in order to get 23hours & 58 minutes use out of it

Thanks
      OMG!!! What a nightmare! I'm really glad my problems didn't go as far as yours - I didn't even realise there was a firmware pack on the CD

I don't suppose there is an updated firmware anywhere that helps?

You would have thought, with so many of these routers going out, that instead of Sky ignoring any problems with them, they would pass them on and force Netgear to get an update sorted pronto.

kraftee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ruddington
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      OMG!!! What a nightmare! I'm really glad my problems didn't go as far as yours - I didn't even realise there was a firmware pack on the CD

I don't suppose there is an updated firmware anywhere that helps?

You would have thought, with so many of these routers going out, that instead of Sky ignoring any problems with them, they would pass them on and force Netgear to get an update sorted pronto.
      Well it only took 2 months for SKY to get their monkeys back to my local exchange to put the plugs on the correct way (complaints all the way up to the top in both SKY, Mr Fielder & BT CEO Mr Robertson, funny it was all sorted out within 4 days of that).

Updated firmware, no, but there is a copy of the latest firmware on the CD. SKY are supposedly going to release a new version over their network, if & when which is one of the reasons of them trying to force everyone to use the same piece of unstable equipment

As for Netgear, been dealing with them on & off for a few years now & all their routers suffer from a buffer over run caused by the NAT tables getting to big & causing the thing to either lockup or reboot

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by k?ftéé View Post
      As for Netgear, been dealing with them on & off for a few years now & all their routers suffer from a buffer over run caused by the NAT tables getting to big & causing the thing to either lockup or reboot
      I'm assuming that this is primarily a problem if you leave your router on all the time? Unless I'm downloading something big overnight, mine tends to get switched off, so fingers crossed I won't have that problem.

bobbyashmoe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Glossop
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Question NM levels

I have been trawling through the site after 3 days of hell with 20 minute dropouts and a useless sky techy to finaly get a stable connection with the help of this amazing useful site.
      Anyway my question is what is a good NM level? mine is about 7.0.

Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 14-10-13, 06:33 PM
    2. 25-07-13, 08:09 AM
    3. 02-10-08, 10:51 AM
    4. 28-03-08, 08:11 PM
    5. 28-03-08, 05:21 PM
    6. 22-03-08, 11:24 AM
    7. 06-03-08, 06:18 PM
    8. 18-02-08, 08:50 PM
    9. 16-01-08, 10:35 PM
    10. 11-01-08, 11:15 PM