Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Conection problems

This is a discussion on Conection problems within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all , i have a strange problem my router will only conect when i make a phone call . ...

Zephex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01908
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Conection problems

Hi all , i have a strange problem my router will only conect when i make a phone call . I phone sky who done a test and said it was there router and sent another within 5 days , which was good except this one does the same ive had internet at this address for 3-4 years never had a problem like this and i cant use my D-link router to check any ideas why it does this, also my ping isnt the best when i did test it was 122 this morning with download 287 upload 205 which is bad .

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Conection problems

Did you get Sky Broadband at the same time as you got Sky TV, by any chance? Most of the time when there's a problem with broadband that seems related to telephone use (for example., broadband disconnects when you pick up the phone), it's caused by a problem with the microfilters. Is your Sky TV box plugged into the telephone system, and if it is, does it have a microfilter?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

no had sky tv for years now only change to sky broad band because it was cheap i was with bulldog b4 but i was paying nearly 30 a month

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I only ask because quite a few people sign up to a complete Sky package (TV + phone + broadband) and they often don't realise that the Sky TV box has to be connected to the phone system through a microfilter, as well as the telephones.

It would be worth trying this out using the test socket. On the main telephone socket in the house, most people have what's known as an NTE5 master socket. The lower half of the front of this socket can be removed by undoing the two screws and carefully pulling the lower half off. Inside, you'll see a socket which can be used for test purposes. Try plugging a microfilter into that test socket, and plugging a telephone and the router into the microfilter. If you still have the same problem, use a different microfilter. If that works OK, then the first microfilter was faulty.

If the first microfilter works OK, then there must be some issue with your internal telephone wiring,. It would be a bit odd that it only started being a problem when you signed up to Sky, but these random coincidences do sometimes occur.

If neither microfilter worked OK, then it would suggest that there's an issue between the exchange and your house. If that's the case, then only Sky can get it fixed. There's no point in talking to BT about the problem, because as far as broadband is concerned, you are not their customer, Sky is.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks James i just put 2 micro filters on the sky boxes and rebooted router and it seemed to work i wont know for sure till i done a few more reboots but all seems well 1st try thanks for the help , never needed the micro filters there b4 but hey look like its done the job .

quit edit just done a speed test ping down to 97 down load 21452 upload 210
      Last edited by Zephex; 07-01-08 at 12:28 PM.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Any telephone socket that is in use on the line must have a filter on it unless you are using a pre-filtered master socket. Without the filter your line condition will be terrible and any drop in the line quality can trigger issues.