Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sagem Router Problems

This is a discussion on Sagem Router Problems within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; My 2 cents... If Sky was not meant to be used for VPN, why do the Microsoft and Cisco versions. ...

Brendan42 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sagem Router Problems

My 2 cents...
      If Sky was not meant to be used for VPN, why do the Microsoft and Cisco versions. In my opinion, using VPN ocassionally to get my work-based mail does not constitute business usage. The fact that VPN works, just not with the SAGEM router, is testimony to the complete lack of planning and consideration on Sky's part. I have a DG834PN that worked perfectly on another provider, so why can i not use it? Why should I have to beg for my username and password to use the Netgear? Why should I be left with inferior equipment for a service that I am paying for? What is so special about the SAGEM model, apart from the regression in technological terms...

2. Advertisement
      potpot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Re: Sagem Router Problems

Hi,
      I'm really glad that there is a web site like this and I'm hoping somebody can help me with my problem. Just switch to SKY from AOL and I've got this wireless SAGEM router. It is working fine with my desktop ( XP ) but for some reason it won't conect with my new ACER laptop 5315 ( Vista ), two of my friends who are more pc literate than me tried to sort it out but failed. The other one this laptop to his house and apparently it connects! Tried SKY twice but they think its the laptop. Tried ACER, is the worst support call centre I had ever encountered!!! Half a day I'd been trying to the SECOND phone no. which by the way is a premium no. still no luck!
      I will really appreciate if someone can help me, tnx

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

What security is currently set on the router? Does the acer actually see the Sky SSID at all? AOL had a habit of leaving the IP of the LAN/ WLAN set at 192.168.0.1 so that may need to be checked too.

dsldude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by potpot View Post
      Hi,
      I'm really glad that there is a web site like this and I'm hoping somebody can help me with my problem. Just switch to SKY from AOL and I've got this wireless SAGEM router. It is working fine with my desktop ( XP ) but for some reason it won't conect with my new ACER laptop 5315 ( Vista ), two of my friends who are more pc literate than me tried to sort it out but failed. The other one this laptop to his house and apparently it connects! Tried SKY twice but they think its the laptop. Tried ACER, is the worst support call centre I had ever encountered!!! Half a day I'd been trying to the SECOND phone no. which by the way is a premium no. still no luck!
      I will really appreciate if someone can help me, tnx
      Change the router channel if you havent allready tried that

use the desktop pc and go to 192.168.0.1
      user: admin pass: sky
      Click setup tab
      change wireless channel to ether 11/6/1
      click apply
      go to laptop and use start Conect to
      remember to enter network key in CAPS

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

First try connecting with the ethernet cable. If you can connect OK go into the router settings, make sure the Wireless access point is Enabled and Disable the security on the router. Unplug the cable and go to Control Panel>Network and Sharing Centre. Click the 'Connect to a Network' in the left pane. When the next pane opens, choose 'Show All' and click the refresh button. If you find more than one active network connection, select the one with your Sky SSID, click on "Connect" and check the option that says 'Start this connection automatically'. Vista will connect automatically to this every time you log in. The connection may not appear immediately, so give it some time to search and find it.

You do not say whether you had this machine connected to AOL. If you did, open the Network Centre and click 'Manage Network Connections' in the left pane. Right click the icon for your adapters, select Properties then highlight TCP/IPv4 and click the Properties button. Check that 'Obtain an IP automatically' is checked. While you are in the LAN Properties, untick TCP/IPv6, this is not required at the moment and can sometimes cause problems. Do this for both your adapters.

I am assuming that if there is a separate swich to turn the wireless on, this has been switched on.

If you manage to connect without security, post back for instructions on how to enable it, as running without it is not advised.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

aborson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

23/01/09
      Hi

Nightmare how bad are sky!

Story is that Im dealing with Sky as a colleague works with me I work in IT here. He has a basic router setup and he needs to use PPTP Microsoft client to access our company email and shared drives. We would normally purchase a BT Business Broadband for him no problem. As the user lives away from work down south and not local to here, he currently uses the Sagem Router not sure model number. The dark grey box, anyway after numerous times checking obvious things throughout the laptop and setup currently in the house i have come to a conclusion the Sagem hardware is crap in simple terms.

Now so i thought best way of getting around this problem would be purchasing a DG834G brand new and asking my colleague to find out the ADSL settings so he can manually setup this at home. When he came to a point where he couldnt find this information easily, i asked him to ring up Sky Tech Help, they said they would not give out this information as the router is not supported by Sky and if anything goes wrong they will void the terms and conditions. Now as you all know and what you should know how many different types of routers there are now on the market.
      You can even go to Tesco and buy a adsl router. So my next task was to ring up the legendary tech support, rang them up they would disclose that information with me. So then they said they will happily replace my router for a netgear replacement. So spoke to a nice guy called Graham on User ID: GDR-30. So he said on a next day delivery he would get one for us. So next day it was delivered but guess what, the same sagem router got delivered, what a surprise!

So rang again spoke to them again and they said apologies and this time will send out another which will be a netgear one. So still not recieved anything.
      So rang back today this morning spoke to them and said the same issue explaining them what happened. Spoke to another guy then he stated "We dont support VPN only Nortel we will happily send an update to the router". I know thats rubbish as 3 people have said yes we will support you and giving you a replacement router.

Any got tranferred to Customer Services then after a short time guess what line went dead as they have a time limit on the call.

Guys is there any fix for this simple issue on the sagem router.

Please get back to me.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Firstly you should know that Sky's T & Cs forbid the use of Sky Broadband for commercial and business use. It is purely a domestic service.

In saying that a lot of work was done on this by user 'Fatoldhippy' who found a solution to the problem. You will find this in this thread Sagem router and VPN

Details on how to use a non-Sky router are readily available on the forum.

To be honest, if the connection is going to be used for important work related business, you would be better setting you friend up with a business broadband connection. Sky broadband is not nearly reliable enough and you will get no sympathy from Sky for lost production.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12