Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

HP MediaSmart Server Experience anyone?

This is a discussion on HP MediaSmart Server Experience anyone? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi All, I will be buying an HP Mediasmart Server EX475 in the near future and was wondering if anyone ...

beadlenet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crook
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Question HP MediaSmart Server Experience anyone?

Hi All,
      I will be buying an HP Mediasmart Server EX475 in the near future and was wondering if anyone had problems connecting it to their sky setup.

In particular, the Server uses UPnP to configure the routers automatically, opening ports for HTTP, HTTPS and remote access.

Also, do sky prevent access to the server from outside?

I have read on some Windows Home Server forums that some ISP's and some routers have problems with the HP MediaSmart Server so was wondering if anyone here owns this particular model.

Many thanks,

beadlenet.

2. Advertisement
      cherrion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shoeburyness
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: HP MediaSmart Server Experience anyone?

I cant speak for sky, But you should be fine. If UPnP doesnt work then port forwarding will. My MediaSmart works fine with my Orange Livebox(worst routerI've ever used).

but to make sure you should contact sky or read their T&C. But the ports that the server uses mainly 80 443. SO they shouldnt be filtered.

Hope I was able to help!

beadlenet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crook
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Thanks for your input. I've had no bother with UPnP so far but I can always turn it off and set up the port forwarding manually if there are problems.
      Cheers,
      beadlenet

guypb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have the EX470 running Windows Home Server and am having problems setting up remote access.
      I cannot get the router to accept Web Sites or Remote Access when running the router configuration test.

I have a Netgear DG834GT (sky configuration)- any thoughts anyone?

cheers

Zico is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Canterbury (NDCAN)
      Broadband ISP: VFast.co.uk
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I'm interested in this thread but I'm leaning towards building my own WHS setup than the HP box.

guypb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I must admit, the MediaSmart is great - very easy to set up and install. Would be nice if it was fanless though, it's not noisy but I do feel I should turn it off at night.

If I could get the remote access to work with my Sky Broadband DG834GT I would be completely chuffed.

I have 2 work laptops and a home desktop attached to the server and we can finally share media etc. Means time for a major cleanup of individual PCs.

The next step is to workout how I can stream various media to the TV etc (preferably using my Sky+ box).

Any ideas anyone?

MSSUser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guypb View Post
      I must admit, the MediaSmart is great - very easy to set up and install. Would be nice if it was fanless though, it's not noisy but I do feel I should turn it off at night.

If I could get the remote access to work with my Sky Broadband DG834GT I would be completely chuffed.

I have 2 work laptops and a home desktop attached to the server and we can finally share media etc. Means time for a major cleanup of individual PCs.

The next step is to workout how I can stream various media to the TV etc (preferably using my Sky+ box).

Any ideas anyone?
      I like my MediaSmart server too. It is really quiet and in a spare bedroom, so I don't hear it. If I turned it off at night like you suggest, it wouldn't do the backups, so that's not an option.

Did you get media streaming to work? I know that there's a SageTV add-in (Sage TV for Windows Home Server: MediaSmart Home), but you need Sage for that to work. I'm into remote management and found a new add-in that allows me to remotely shutdown and manage my other machines (AutoExit 2008 R2 for WHS Beta: MediaSmart Home).

Would love to hear about other's experiences with this server as I'm just getting started!