Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

differences between the Sky firmware and the standard Netgear firmware

This is a discussion on differences between the Sky firmware and the standard Netgear firmware within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; There is much talk of a SKY firmware upgrade for the Netgear router. SKY have advised me that we should ...

pete_run is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

differences between the Sky firmware and the standard Netgear firmware

There is much talk of a SKY firmware upgrade for the Netgear router. SKY have advised me that we should have it in the next few weeks, BUT I should not load the netgear firmware as it is incompatible (these foums would suggest otherwise).

SO my question;
      What are the differences between the Sky firmware and the standard Netgear firmware?

Why do SKY create so much trouble for themselves and their users by not having standard firmware. Can they do extra things? There must be something in it for them.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: differences between the Sky firmware and the standard Netgear firmware

makes my job (and everyone else at tech) much easier to support a set FW...only real difference is the locking of the username/password. and it also has a few bugs in it...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

You job would be even easier if you could just say, "I'm sorry Sir/Madam, but we cannot offer support for any router other than the one we provide."

Mind you, I'm sure, given some of the things that people complain about, that there'd be some people who would declare such a response to be the greatest injustice ever in the history of mankind…

RobinUsesSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 020 8230
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

When I signed up with bt adsl when it was first rolled out in my area, I decided to get my own h/w as I think at the time the bt solution was a usb modem and I wanted a router linked to my switch. BT said this was fine but couldn't provide tech support.

Well, there were a couple of hiccups, and the tech support guy only said to me that if it was bt h/w, advice would be to do xxx and yyy, and thats all he could say as he didn't know my h/w. Armed with that info and a little time I managed to suss the problem.

Newsflash: BT are still in business selling broadband, so it can't be that bad an idea.

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I myself support a set firmware beacuse it makes the router a Sky router not a netgear router. If you had any troubles with the router you would be able to contact sky beacause its "their" router if you like. Were as having standard firmware you'd have the option of contacting netgear who would just say contact your ISP.

Theres no performance change in the standard firmare and the sky firmware. Once this updates out most of our issues should be sorted.