Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Router To Router?

This is a discussion on Sky Router To Router? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Sky are sending me out another Sagem router as the one i have now they thought was broke because the ...

J3OEF is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Router To Router?

Sky are sending me out another Sagem router as the one i have now they thought was broke because the wireless wouldnt set up but after some help on this site ive managed to do it and its all fine and dandy, I have informed Sky but its already dispatced so the guy i spoke to said just keep it lol. But what i was thinking was i have a PC downstairs which the sky router is plugged into then i have another pc and laptop running off it wirelessly, so now with this new router would i be able to use that for my 360 which is upstairs? what i mean is can i plug it all in and plug a cable in my 360 then in the router phone line socket and basically use the sky router as a wireless device which is communicating with the one downstairs but infact its transmitting my internet connection through the cable if that makes sense?

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Sky Router To Router?

to have the two communicating you have to run ethernet cable between them - NOT via the phone line...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

fair enough so sky router to router with cable into back of 360 wont work but your saying router to router with ethernet cable will? or am i reading wrong

Thanks

IF you wish to run 2 routers purely to get a cable to the XBox - then just a longer ethernet cable would suffice...

however, if you want to use another router a wireless access point then the two must be linked together so the second one gets the internet feed from the first...but you can't have 2 routers on the same phone line...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i would run a longer cable but the pc is downstairs and the 360 upstairs so it would get in the way if i was to do it this way, i understand what your saying now, would this case be the same if i wanted to use the laptop then? plug an ethernet cable into that and take the connection from the laptop?

Thanks

no...IF you have a large gap between the two then without running an extention to the room with the laptop/XBox then you'll have to go wireless or run a longer ethernet cable...however, id assume the laptop is already wireless so its a question as to how you want to run the XBox...

EDIT: re-reading the OP, yes you can have the XBox connected to the second router, but NOT through the phone line - you have to physically link them with ethernet (unless you can get them to talk wirelessly to each other but no idea how you'd do that...)
      Last edited by IWasNotTheEnemy; 03-01-08 at 10:25 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

so both my suggestions wont work via laptop or router to router unless hard wired, could you not get the other router to talk wirelessly the same way i did with the other two comps by adding the mac address in wireless access station on 192.168.0.1?

Thanks

not 100% as to what you're asking....

PC downstairs to original router in socket is fine - that works...

now, are the laptop and XBox both upstairs? if so, both need their own connection. IF the laptop is wireless already then just use that, however for the XBox it'd be best to run an ethernet cable to it as wireless gaming isn't great....OR you can run ethernet to another router (sky or otherwise) and use this as a wireless gateway - either way ethernet will need to be used, you can't connect the XBox to the laptop and share its connection (I don't think - don't do gaming, prefer real life interaction...no offence to gamers )

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

right i understand now, thanks mate

gilbert is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

...a solution?... saw this..

"The Xbox 360 system was explicitly designed for easy integration with a wireless network. However, the quality and effectiveness of your wireless network depends on a number of factors. Please note:
      The Xbox 360 console supports only the Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter** and Xbox Live Compatible wireless-to-Ethernet bridges, routers, and gateways bearing the Xbox Live Compatible logo.

Designed for versatility and ease, the Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter enhances your Xbox 360 experience in the digital home, seamlessly synchronizing with the Xbox 360 system. You can easily transfer videos and music to your Xbox 360 system from your Media Center PC, chat with your friends, play games via Xbox LIVEŽ, and more—all without the clutter of wires.

Code:
      http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/connectionmethods/wirelessconnection.htm
      Last edited by gilbert; 24-01-08 at 08:00 PM.