Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New Router

This is a discussion on New Router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; The Netgear GT is annoying me , and im sure the new sky router is much better. Do i have ...

BrandonI is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Burnley
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

New Router

The Netgear GT is annoying me , and im sure the new sky router is much better. Do i have to pay or can i get it free? Do i just ring up and ask for it?
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 03-01-08 at 03:32 AM. Reason: removed filtered out word as per rules

2. Advertisement
      ononotagain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01296
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: New Router

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonI View Post
      The Netgear GT is annoying me , and im sure the new sky router is much better. Do i have to pay or can i get it free? Do i just ring up and ask for it?
      I have the Sagem and it's just as annoying... A network cable is unplugged, there is limited or no connectivity, it can take many minutes to connect if your lucky.

The best thing people using sky broadband could do is to demand the right to choose the freebie or use of own router.

I sometimes think parts of this sight are manipulated by Sky people, i will be cancelling Sky Broadband, Tv, phone just because of this unreasonable demand and wish i had never taken it up, i was promised i could use own router by sales people (3 times) after first setting up with sky's free router.

I have a Netgear DG-834N RangeMax Next Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router which is collecting dust.

If this kind of blackmail grows throughout the industry then ISP's and modem/router manufacturers will have no need to invest in better technology and will lead us to believe that what they supply is the best available.

SKYUSERS SHOULD DEMAND THE FREEDOM OF CHOICE OF ROUTERS!!!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

its not blackmail as its in the T&C's of service which should be read before signing - would you buy a house without checking terms over thoroughly?...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      its not blackmail as its in the T&C's of service which should be read before signing - would you buy a house without checking terms over thoroughly?...
      No, but if it was offered free as long as i lived in it for 12 mnths then yes!

I was told by head of sales that it was only necessary to use it on initial connection. ( unfortunately not in writing) but then Sky would not tell lies would they?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post

Also that's not binding as it's a genaralisation.........not an individual negotiation as i had no input into the drawing up of the terms and conditions or contract.

Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations

The Regulations apply, with certain exceptions, to unfair terms in contracts concluded between a consumer and a seller or supplier (regulation 4). The Regulations provide that an unfair term is one which has not been individually negotiated and which, contrary to the requirement of good faith, causes a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations under the contract to the detriment of the consumer (regulation 5). Schedule 2 contains an indicative list of terms which may be regarded as unfair.

Unfair Terms
      5. - (1) A contractual term which has not been individually negotiated shall be regarded as unfair if, contrary to the requirement of good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer.

(2) A term shall always be regarded as not having been individually negotiated where it has been drafted in advance and the consumer has therefore not been able to influence the substance of the term.

(3) Notwithstanding that a specific term or certain aspects of it in a contract has been individually negotiated, these Regulations shall apply to the rest of a contract if an overall assessment of it indicates that it is a pre-formulated standard contract.

(4) It shall be for any seller or supplier who claims that a term was individually negotiated to show that it was.

(5) Schedule 2 to these Regulations contains an indicative and non-exhaustive list of the terms which may be regarded as unfair.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Discussions about T&Cs to one side, the GT is a perfectly good router and no better or no worse than many including the new Netgear and Sagem. What is certainly true however is that the GT V1 firmware has problems with some line conditions but the forthcoming firmware revision should remove that problem.

I agree that Sky is foolish not to allow customers to use the router of their choice. Pretty much every other ISP in the world is able to do this.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

ok, so my example wasn't the best but it's still vaild - and yes, Sky would lie to get a sale, its called commission...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Discussions about T&Cs to one side, the GT is a perfectly good router and no better or no worse than many including the new Netgear and Sagem. What is certainly true however is that the GT V1 firmware has problems with some line conditions but the forthcoming firmware revision should remove that problem.

I agree that Sky is foolish not to allow customers to use the router of their choice. Pretty much every other ISP in the world is able to do this.
      I know i have a new one sitting doing nothing also a 834G and the rangemax N version.

I always had one as a spare in case of router failure but with Sky that's not an option.

That's why i will terminate all my sky subscriptions, i have even considered buying out my contracts!

juat got my phone bill with over 25 going on sky calls for a problem that was not of my doing but i suppose they have to pay for the (free) routers somehow

ridla is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

how about a potition to make sky abolish this rule??

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

More chance of platting fog I would say.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser