Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Sagem & Check Point VPN-1 SecureClient

This is a discussion on New Sagem & Check Point VPN-1 SecureClient within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Last year I was able to access my corporate WAN using a friends Sky Broadband. Our work Laptops use Check ...

Glen_Tech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crondall
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

New Sagem & Check Point VPN-1 SecureClient

Last year I was able to access my corporate WAN using a friends Sky Broadband. Our work Laptops use Check Point VPN-1 SecureClient to securely connect to our Firewall, ie create a VPN from Laptop to corp WAN.
      I foolishly advised a colleague of mine that this was possible and they have signed up with Sky Broadband, but were supplied with a Sagem Router, this appears not to allow the VPN client through to our Firewall, can anyone advise whether this is possible by changing a few settings on the Sagem, or is there any mileage in asking Sky to provide a Netgear as replacement.

My colleague is in Glasgow and so I cannot just pop round and play!!!!

If neither are possible can you please advise how to obtain username and password so i can provide them with a netgear that i know will work?

Your advise would be much appreciated.

Glen

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: New Sagem & Check Point VPN-1 SecureClient

no way yet to get the username/password - altho someone did manage to get it from a CS agent (which should now be out of a job)....

there are issue apparently with Sagems and VPN so give Sky a buzz and they can get a Netgear one to you instead...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

fastnfurious is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01732
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This is my first ever post so excuse me if I have anything incorrectly detailed:

I have just today migrated to Sky and in the run up to the changeover became extremely concerned that I wouldn't be able to access my work's VPN when to my shock a SAGEM arrived. One quick look at these forums and I immediately regretted changing. I called Sky on 3 or 4 occasions and found them to be generally helpful though they would neither confirm or otherwise that VPN would work, just that they didn't support it. On a couple of occasions, I had to explain what VPN was so wasn't impressed but then on asking to be put through to the cancellations department to exercise my 8 day clause, I was offered a Netgear instead though I did have to ask. It has since arrived, is a Netgear DG934G-1 that looks identical to the new SAGEM (grey, black skyHD like) and VPN works OK.

They won't inform you on purchase that VPN isn't possible and class it as business use not private but I explained that I acces my work's email and the guy I spoke to genuinely understood and would only say there are ways around it. This will be a common problem I'm sure and they'll have to sort it out. Until someone manages to flash the username and password from the SAGEM (has that been done yet as I'd much rather stick with my own trusty DG834GT), I'm sure many more complaints will follow.

I still have the SAGEM and have tried that too for VPN. IT DOESN'T WORK.
      Last edited by fastnfurious; 31-12-07 at 07:00 PM.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Is someone can setup a VPN connection to try, we can try connecting on a SAGEM and the Netgear and get a definitive yes or no it will work.

Feel free to PM the details to me and I can confirm either way.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

complain all you like but Sky BB is a consumer based service with internet access only - VPN is not supported or even mentioned in training so no wonder you had to explain what it is to tier 1...

Obviously the router should support it but not Sky...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Glen_Tech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crondall
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your advise here, i have advised my colleague to follow fastnfurious' tack and see how far she gets.

On a related subject do you know how long i should wait to recieve my 50 vouchers for introducing this new user?

ononotagain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01296
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If i remember right the DG834G V1 is using a TI AR7 chipset which has known problems and should really be taken of the market according to Zen internet, but there again most modem/routers use this chipset. When BT test your line though they do not use this chipset and will then charge you when no fault is found.

From PC Pro..................

Not that either Infineon (which bought Texas Instruments in June 2007) or BT is coming clean and admitting there's a problem. Infineon has gone on record to say the chipset is mature and reliable, while BT says nothing other than it's unaware of any problems with AR7-based routers. Nor is BT disclosing any hardware-testing information to ISPs, since it's bound by manufacturer confidentiality agreements. However, I've learned that BT deploys SpeedTouch (that is, non-AR7-based) hardware for wiring tests, so its engineer can visit you, find no problem, declare therefore that it's an internal/hardware problem and charge you the � fee.

My advice is that if you're experiencing a fluctuating signal-to-noise ratio for whatever reason (and there are many), this may provoke your AR7-powered router on an ADSL Max service to cause you problems in the manner I've described. I know, I've been there and I'd have pulled my hair out if I had any. It took me the best part of a week of investigation to get to the bottom of this problem, and it's my opinion that both manufacturers of AR7-chipset-powered routers and BT need to spend at least as long investigating for themselves, and then let the public know what they're going to do about it. If any of this sounds familiar, then at the very least contact us at PC Pro and let us know: if you've been charged � by BT because the problem was "your own fault", ask what hardware the engineer used to test the connection and get them back in to try with an AR7-powered device. If they refuse, you might want to think about getting a lawyer involved - I suspect if enough people do that perhaps the big boys at BT will be forced into action to put this right.

Full article............
      PC Pro: Analysis: Real World Computing: Route to ruin?
      Last edited by ononotagain; 05-01-08 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks

the OP is on about the new Sagem router though...

barnjp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm in the same boat as the OP, can't VPN when I could on another ISP/router of my own. Sky ended up saying they'd send a Netgear instead of a Sagem, but received a Sagem. If I try again, will I get yet another Sagem?!

AcidC4 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alloa FK101LJ
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Great i am getting a new router and i think there sending me the Sagem and i am constantly having to VPN to my work for emails etc.

looks like another 5 phone calls to Sky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast