Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

sky router

This is a discussion on sky router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hi I have a sky router which i think i have successfully flashed to use with talk talk. I can ...

mal165 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 014612
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

sky router

hi I have a sky router which i think i have successfully flashed to use with talk talk. I can access all the setup data from netgear bu using my talk talk modem in conjunction with the netgear. The wizard cant connect to the internet and on searching the talktalk help they say that only V2 and V3 netgear routers are compatable with talk talk. the firmware version i have is 1.02.13. does this mean I have a V1 router? Does it also mean that it can't be used with talk talk. I bought the router believing it to be only a few months old and also that it is a Netgear DG834GT. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: sky router

if you've flashed the Sky router with the generic FW then all you need is the login details of TT and it should work...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mal165 View Post
      does this mean I have a V1 router?
      I think you're confusing the DG834G and the DG834GT routers. The DG834G (without a T) comes in three different version numbers, and these are hardware version numbers, not firmware versions. On the underside of the router, they actually have either v2, v3 or nothing at all (indicating v1) after the model number.

The original white Sky routers are DG834GT routers (with a T), and once reflashed with standard Netgear firmware, behave entirely like a standard Netgear DG834GT router.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply
      Just pasted this from TT website:

Netgear Routers - What firmware version do Netgear routers have?
      All Netgear V3 routers sold via Carphone Warehouse stores come with version 3 Firmware which is compatible with the TalkTalk network. Customers may have purchased a Netgear router (V1 or V2) from other retail outlets, which sell the older Netgear versions

they do refer to the dg834g as you suggested. Could it be then that the GT is not compatible with TT?

just cant get it to connect to the net on its own.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

hi I have a sky router which i think i have successfully flashed to use with talk talk. I can access all the setup data from netgear bu using my talk talk modem in conjunction with the netgear. The wizard cant connect to the internet and on searching the talktalk help they say that only V2 and V3 netgear routers are compatable with talk talk. the firmware version i have is 1.02.13. does this mean I have a V1 router? Does it also mean that it can't be used with talk talk. I bought the router believing it to be only a few months old and also that it is a Netgear DG834GT. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
      You do not need to use your TalkTalk modem at all as the Netgear DG834GT has a modem built in. Just set it up with your TalkTalk username and password, plug it straight into the line via an ADSL filter and it should work. The firmware versions they are referring to are I think hardware versions for the wired DG834G router as described here.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks all, seem to have got it working. Not sure exactly what i did but it seems ok. touch wood! Thanks again. Next question is what do i need in terms of security for wireless?

Thanks

thanks all, seem to have got it working. Not sure exactly what i did but it seems ok. touch wood! Thanks again. Next question is what do i need in terms of security for wireless?
      Safest is to set up a Wireless Station Access List in Wireless Settings. Limits access to MAC addresses that you specify. Simply add each connected device to the access list then check the enable access list checkbox to secure it.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

In terms of wireless security, in order of value:

• Disable SSID: near worthless
      • MAC access control: will delay a moderately competent hacker by a few seconds but might stop the neighbour (MAC address spoofing is easy)
      • WEP encryption: will delay a moderately competent hacker by a few minutes (especially if the password is weak)
      • WPA-PSK encryption: will probably stop a moderately competent hacker but will probably only delay a very competent (and determined) one by a few minutes
      • WPA-802.1x encryption: will stop all but the most determined and skillfull (time and nature of tools required)
      • Turn wireless off: will stop anyone except those intercepting emf radiation off the PC/monitor (MI5/CIA territory)

Thanks

^^^ OOPS!

Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
      Safest is to set up a Wireless Station Access List in Wireless Settings. Limits access to MAC addresses that you specify. Simply add each connected device to the access list then check the enable access list checkbox to secure it.
      I should have mentioned that the WPA-PSK encryption should be on as well but I took that as read as it is set to on by default in the Sky router setup.