Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

(Trying to) Hack the Sagem

This is a discussion on (Trying to) Hack the Sagem within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Yer the password normally should be 10 characters long with the username being 12. Dont worry about the router, it ...

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: (Trying to) Hack the Sagem

Yer the password normally should be 10 characters long with the username being 12.

Dont worry about the router, it was me being cheeky and in a joking mood anyhow , if your not used to me it can alarm you but hey.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

2. Advertisement
      barnjp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just to check: isn't the username the mac address (12 chars) + "@skydsl"?

Re guys at CS losing jobs by giving out the usernames and passwords - I completely understand where you're coming from and why this is the case, but do their bosses realise how happy they will have made their customer?! Sky really should think about this rule and just say "you can use another router, but if something goes wrong we'll expect you to stick our router back in before you phone up complaining..."

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Maybe some of our customers would be happier paying for a proper Business connection too instead of using a residential service for work purposes If Sky were to allow anyone to use any router then supporting the customer would be a nightmare because most would ring in for troubleshooting and would either lie when ask or omit to tell T1 that they have installed a 3rd party router.

barnjp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This I understand, but it is not only businesses that have VPNs...

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      If Sky were to allow anyone to use any router then supporting the customer would be a nightmare because most would ring in for troubleshooting and would either lie when ask or omit to tell T1 that they have installed a 3rd party router.
      I dont know about T1 but I do know Sky are able to see if you are or are not using their router. Im sure they could make a slight change to the system which flags this point up with T1.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

"Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I'm not sure if the serial number is available to the firmware in the way the MAC address is. The guy might simply have been referring to the MAC address as the serial number, thinking you might not know what a MAC address is.

There is, of course, no reason why the new Sagem router's password should be generated in the same way as the original Netgear password (not that anyone ever worked out how that was generated either). The presumption is that the bar code on the router box is scanned before the router is shipped, and the MAC address followed by @skydsl is put into Sky's authentication servers along with the generated password. It would be easy enough to use algorithm A if a white Netgear is scanned, algorithm B if a black Netgear is scanned, and algorithm C if a Sagem router is scanned.

Looking through some of the code on my white Netgear, I see a string "md5sum /tmp/mac" appear in the /usr/sbin/rc program. The file /tmp/mac contains the router's MAC address converted to a ASCII string of 12 hex characters, and the md5sum program generates the MD5 hash function value for the specified file.

I noticed in the new Netgear firmware (which I downloaded from the Netgear website) that the /usr/sbin/rc program contains references to both the md5sum and sha hashing programs. How the router converts a 128-bit MD5 hash value or a 160-bit SHA hash value into a 40-bit hex value, used as the connection password, is still something of a mystery, I'm afraid.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Nope we cannot tell what router is being used on the connection, we have to rely on them giving the game away when we question them on what lights etc are lit.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Yer but what dept are you in? T1, T2 or T3?

And I would agree using your own router would make life soo much easier. For example Netgear's have always been bad on my line and have not been able to pass the night (or day) away without dropping it, where as my D-Link has never let me down and hold a solid connection even on 2db for a NM
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Erm as mentioned in the previous post T1

Thanks
      Blog Entries

So would it not be possible for T2 or even T3 to see what router is being used, but this facilty to be kept away from T1 for what ever reason?
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast