Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can I use my old router and new v2 as an access point?

This is a discussion on Can I use my old router and new v2 as an access point? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I'm currently using a bt voyager 205, and have received the new sagem f@st 2504. Problem is I read that ...

RobinUsesSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 020 8230
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can I use my old router and new v2 as an access point?

I'm currently using a bt voyager 205, and have received the new sagem f@st 2504. Problem is I read that the sagem doesn't allow port forwarding so will only let http and email data thru, no p2p, ng's, or consoles

What I was hoping to do is use the old bt one for the net and just use the sagem as an access point (already have it running like this). Problem is as we have just signed up to sky, the switchover date is coming up very soon. I was told if mac code was given, then whole transition is seamless, so this has me thinking, does it matter that I can't get the login info out of the sagem, as if it is a seamless transfer, surely they must continue to accept my old login details from my previous supplier for this to happen.

Failing this, it was specified I would receive a netgear at time of order, I did think shall I moan about this, but then most likely they would then send me the netgear v2 which will be equally useless (or will it if reflashed with official netgear firmware)

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Can I use my old router and new v2 as an access point?

Erm the new Netgear allows port forwarding so I cannot see why the Sagem should be any different. Have you checked the guide for port forwarding on the netgear to see if it helps with settings on the Sagem?
      netgear_utorrent

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I see, it's just that I know pretty much fa about these things and was just going on something I read somewhere.

Also I found my old modem was slightly locked down, but I've managed to telnet into it so I have various other minor improvements like being allowed a max of 512 connections as opposed to 128 which helps for p2p stuff, hence me wondering if I could still use it.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

as if it is a seamless transfer, surely they must continue to accept my old login details from my previous supplier for this to happen.
      It is not quite as 'seamless' as that! The connection to your old supplier will drop, you unplug the old router and plug in the Sky one, with a bit of luck you will be back on line within the hour.

Where did you hear that port forwarding does not work with the Sagem? It would be a useless bit of kit if it didn't. My nephew has one and he gets excellent results on his torrents and Xbox. Full instructions can be found HERE

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ah, the guys on the phone at sky and bt said it would be seamless, hence me thinking they literally meant that!

I got that incorrect information after googling F@st 2504 and looking at the first few seemingly meaningful links. Thanks a lot for the link