Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Limited Access

This is a discussion on Limited Access within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; My Net connection has been erratic, and sent email has been lingering in my outbox, so I checked the Network ...

Nan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208455
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:

Limited Access

My Net connection has been erratic, and sent email has been lingering in my outbox, so I checked the Network Connection box to see the status of my wireless connection and it says I am 'Connected with Limited Access'! Sometimes I can get online and sometimes I can't. Support just doesn 't know what I am talking about! Keep telling me to pull out my power plug!!! Which is of course is a waste of time.

Did a search and not only was I fortunate enough to find YOU, but I also found Vista Connection Issues
      which says 'Connected With Limited Access' is a recognised problem with Vista and mentions something about ‘increasing the NIC’. With my previous ISP I used a Belkin router and had no trouble setting up and making the necessary adjustments – however, I can’t do this with the SKY box.

Someone else suggested I setup the wep/psk security, how do I do this with the Sky Box?

Also, is my system secure and can you possible help me? Thanks.
      Last edited by Nan; 23-12-07 at 11:25 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: Limited Access

Are you using a laptop? If you are go into your Control Panel, Power Options, on the left pane click 'Choose when to turn off display'. On the next pane click 'Change advanced power settings' Expand the 'Wireless adapter settings' and set it to 'Maximum Performance' left click the setting and use the drop down box. If you are using a plugin adapter on a laptop or desktop, also expand the USB section and set it to 'Disabled'.

Have you turned off the security in the router. If not, you should be OK. If you have, turn it on and set your adapter up with the pass key shown in the router.

You can also check in the Network and Sharing Centre, that you are set to use a Private Network and that Network Discovery is On.

It is always better to check your connection by ethernet, this rules out wireless problems.

Just a final thought, Limited Connections are usually caused by problems between the PC and the router, so don't bother Sky, come here instead.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.