Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless WEP Security - dummys guide?

This is a discussion on Wireless WEP Security - dummys guide? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Is there a dummys guide on how to setup WEP Security on the Sky Router Netgear DG834GT? It's for my ...

jpd1977uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01628
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Not Sure
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Wireless WEP Security - dummys guide?

Is there a dummys guide on how to setup WEP Security on the Sky Router Netgear DG834GT?

It's for my sister and She is useing Windoze Vista.

Thanks.
      Current PC System:
      Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping 2.66Ghz
      Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Motherboard
      XFX ATI Radeon HD 4890 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
      Patriot Viper 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) Low Latency Tri-Channel
      Windows 7 Premium SP1

2. Advertisement
      HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Wireless WEP Security - dummys guide?

Want me to make a flash one? will take a couple of days due to workload though...
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

maxping is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless WEP Security - dummys guide?

Quote Originally Posted by jpd1977uk View Post
      Is there a dummys guide on how to setup WEP Security on the Sky Router Netgear DG834GT?

It's for my sister and She is useing Windoze Vista.

Thanks.

Is there a reason you chose WEP over WPA?

WEP vs WPA

WEP:

Wired Equivalent Privacy. Originally intended to give you the same or similar level of security as on a wired network, but it didn’t quite work out that way.

In basic layman’s terms, WEP works by using secret keys, or codes to encrypt data. The Access Point and the client must know the codes in order for it to function. It uses either 64 bit or 128 bit keys, though the added security from the larger number isn’t as much as you would think.

The actual user keys (codes) are 40 bits and 104 bits, with the extra 24 bits used by something called the Intialization Vector (IV).

The encryption is created by taking the IV and randomizing it for each packet, while keeping the secret code the same. The AP and the client decrypt and retrieve the message/data and all is right in the world, in theory.

Problems:

* There is no limit on using the same IV value more than once. This makes the encryption vulnerable to collision-based attacks.
      * Because the IV is only 24 bits, there are only ~16.7 million possible variations. Sounds like a lot, but it’s quite small in the cryptography world.
      * Master keys are used directly, when they should instead be used to generate other temporary keys.
      * Users don’t change their keys very often on most networks, giving attackers ample time to try various techniques.

If you have nothing else, WEP is better than nothing.

WPA:

Wifi Protected Access. It bridges the gap between WEP and the upcoming 802.11i standard, and is implementable via firmware upgrades in older hardware. WPA uses Temporal Key Integrity Protocol (or TKIP), which is designed to alow WEP to be upgraded through corrective measures that address the existing security problems.

Advantages over WEP:

* IV length has increased to 48 bits from 24 bits, which allows WPA to achieve over 500 trillion possible key combinations.
      * IVs are now better protected through the use of the TSC, or TKIP sequence counter, helping to prevent the re-use of IV keys.
      * Master keys are never directly used.
      * Better key management
      * Impressive message integrity checking
      Last edited by maxping; 23-12-07 at 11:54 AM.