Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using old router as access point

This is a discussion on Using old router as access point within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Just set up my Sky BB having ditched Virgin ( NTL ) after about 10 years. I'm using the Sky ...

mccaba is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0141
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Using old router as access point

Just set up my Sky BB having ditched Virgin ( NTL ) after about 10 years. I'm using the Sky supplied router for two hard wired PC's but would like to use my old Linksys router as a wireless access point for my sons PC's. Reason being the Linksys wireless set up has a range expander to deal with signal strength.

Havn't managed to get access to the internet via the wireless PC's yet. Maybe a silly question but do I disable DCHP on the Linksys to use it soley as an access point in which case I assume the IP addresses for the two wireless PC's will be dished out by the Sky router ? Does it matter that I also have a small 4 port switch in the network ?

Regards
      Andrew

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Using old router as access point

You will indeed have to disable DHCP on the Linksys router. DHCP doesn't just give an IP address to your PCs, it also gives them a "default gateway" address, which tells them which router they should use to get through to the Internet. Only the Sky router will give the correct default gateway address, so only the DHCP server on the Sky router should be left enabled.

Switches won't cause any problems for your wired connections, you just plug stuff in and it all works with no configuration necessary. My router (and incidentally, the Sky router has a five-port Ethernet switch inside it, four going to the ports on the back, the fifth connected to the ADSL chip) connects to a 100Mbit switch behind the TV, and then that switch connects to the Gigabit switch which all the PCs in the house connect to. So there's actually two Ethernet switches between the Sky router and the PC I'm using now, and that works just fine.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks James.

Disabled DHCP on the old Linky and its working a treat as a wireless access point.

Andrew

aganuz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Go

how about just the lynks router, without the sky modem do you think the ethernet will connect through to it??
      ________
      Gm Ultra Engine History
      Last edited by aganuz; 03-04-11 at 04:53 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think you have been told before, to use any other router, you need the username/password from the Sky router. The forum is full of this kind of reference if you search for it

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Aganuz,
      No I didn't bother trying the Linksys on the Sky line. I assumed it wouldn't work from the posts I'd read, but in any case my reason for using the Linksys was to use it purely as a wireless access point for three other PC's on the house. I also use a Linksys range expander because of thick stonewalls and my experience tells me the range expander is a b***** to set up with anything other than a Linksys router. So I just went for the easy option.

Andrew