Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Router blowed up.. But confused...

This is a discussion on Router blowed up.. But confused... within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Afternoon all.. Last night my v1 router decided it had had enough of our company and shrugged off it's mortal ...

unseen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Router blowed up.. But confused...

Afternoon all..

Last night my v1 router decided it had had enough of our company and shrugged off it's mortal coil.. So rang CS at 1.30am bit of a wait, but they couldn't be more helpful!! Went through all the motions but diagnosis was router not recieving power from PSU. Fine ok.. But hmm it's out of warranty (just over 1yr happy service! ) explained I had the Sky repair plan (finally got a use for it!) so was asked to ring the D&G line today get a ref number and call back Sky BB..

Couple of hours ago I did as requested.. Got a number from D&G and called back, ended up speaking to a malaysian call centre (well sounded like it) who after I gave the details said that the router would be replaced FOC without requiring this code from D&G..

Is this right??? Or will I find in 5-6days (ish!) that infact no router has been ordered because I didn't give this number??

Thanks & Merry Christmas to all..

Rob - Who's confused enough as it is this christmas!!!

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Router blowed up.. But confused...

I have no idea whether you'll actually get this router, but I suspect that you will because otherwise the agent you spoke to wouldn't have been able to enter a request for one.

Sky's in a strange position here. They say that you own the router and it's guaranteed for a year. But you can't connect (officially) with a different router, so what happens if your router fails after a year? They have no mechanism to allow you to buy a Sky router (if they had, many people with V1 routers would have been phoning up to buy one of the new, black Sky routers), so what choice do they have but send you a new one free-of-charge?

Personally, I think they only say that you own the router so that if it explodes and burns down your house, you can't claim against them for the damage. Mind you, I reckon if that did happen, you'd still be able to sue them as the vendor of the router.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Call back and take the option for order status tomorrow, they will be able to comfirm if the order was placed for you. Odds are that it has and you should receive your router within the next 3-5 working days.

Max_UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Swandean
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Interesting thread unseen, not intended as a highjack & on the same topic.

Is it possible for any of the Sky employees on the forum to give a definitive answer to the replacement router question?

My first year will be up in February & I'm wondering what the position would be if my router "Gave up the ghost".
      Is it worth buying a replacement in advance (of whatever make?)

We have all become so dependent on our internet fix that a possible withdrawal of 10 (or many more) days without emails etc. would be a real headache. What would be the replacement charge from Sky (if any). I don't subscribe to any repair plan.

As Sky broadband is relatively new, this is a situation which will be affecting many more people in the coming year.

Any advice welcome.

Regards,

Max.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

^^^ i would extract your username and password anyway and keep safe

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

replacements can be sent, as to whether or not you're charged for them im not sure - sorry i couldn't be more help in this instance
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      replacements can be sent, as to whether or not you're charged for them im not sure - sorry i couldn't be more help in this instance
      Well neither could CS! Not very impressed at the moment. Was told everything was ok, then asked for Serial & Mac. Was told not to worry new router should be with me Monday!

Guess what.. tis monday no router (ok post blah blah..) so currently on the phone with 1st provisioning (order tracking?) who informed me the router replacement had been cancelled as it was out of warranty!?!? Provisioning have transfered me across to CS now who after calmly asking for this to be escalated are now claiming it HASN'T been cancelled!!! ARGH!!!

*Just to add*
      Annoyingly I've got Sky Repair... Paying the 9.90 a month for the privilage, as I said earlier got a code from D&G but everytime I've offered to give this code I've been flatly refused with the comment "It's policy for Sky to replace the router free of charge" everytime I question this (which is the opposite of the nice person from Glasgow(??) said) I'm told that it's correct!!! So I'm lost now!

Rob
      Last edited by unseen; 24-12-07 at 02:18 PM.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Just an idea but if it is the psu then you could nip to cpc, maplin etc and pick up a cheap one ? You would need a 12 volt 1 amp model. At least this would keep you going over xmas as if its not come now its unlikely to be with you before new year.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      Just an idea but if it is the psu then you could nip to cpc, maplin etc and pick up a cheap one ? You would need a 12 volt 1 amp model. At least this would keep you going over xmas as if its not come now its unlikely to be with you before new year.
      Thats my plan once I'm allowed to escape the insanity that is the office

Rob

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

** Warning needing to vent!! **

ARGH!!!!

Firstly I'll apologise to anyone from Sky BB first line that reads this.. As a support person myself in the NHS (god help me!) oh my god I'd be shot for the assistance or well serious lack of from the main technical person I just spoke to.....

Just out of interest I called back to find that OH YES my replacement has been cancelled again!!! When I queried why I got the "It's out of warranty" speil fine I said trying to stay calm (very trying!) I've got this authorisation code from Sky Repair Plan.. "Erm no.. I'll need to escalate this..." 15-20 mins "Right it has to go to Sky main office" you mean Customer Service?? "No Sky head office" HUH??? WTF???? Tried desperately to explain that I just needed to give him this auth number and all would be right in the world (Apprently the wife thought I was handling this much better than the last time I had to deal with Technical.. Never call Dell home support yeeesh!!) But alas no.. When I asked for a number for Sky Main office he politely cut me off... How nice..

Rob

/end rant Ommmmm Ommmmm Ommmmm.....
      Last edited by unseen; 24-12-07 at 05:32 PM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast