Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

sky router ebay

This is a discussion on sky router ebay within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hi im just wondering, if i but a netgear sky router off ebay as a back up for this one ...

vinnyutd6899 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Heald green
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

sky router ebay

hi im just wondering, if i but a netgear sky router off ebay as a back up for this one if it ever breaks, will i be able to use it? or are routers locked to your account when they send them out? cheers

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: sky router ebay

It's a debatable point. Sky routers have the connection username and password effectively built in, so buying a Sky router off someone on eBay means that you will be using the connection username and password that were previously used by someone else.

Sky certainly have the ability to disable that particular username and password if, for example, a customer has left Sky, but it's not clear whether they actually do that. People who have had replacement routers sent to them buy Sky have so far always found that their old connection usernames and passwords continue to work.

So basically, there are no guarantees, and even if it does work, you have to evaluate for yourself what the risks are of using someone else's connection details.

If you've got one of the older white Sky routers, I'd recommend extracting the connection username and password from that (note however that you can't do this with the newer black Sky routers) and keeping those details safe. If your current router ever stopped working, you could at least use those details in another, non-Sky router to keep you going until a replacement Sky router was sent out.

Oh, I should point out that using a router not supplied to you by Sky is a breach of their terms and conditions, and I suppose that applies to whether you use a non-Sky router, or a Sky router originally supplied to someone else (such as would be the case if you bought a Sky router off eBay).

VEG
      VEG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maesteg
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Re: sky router ebay

I have 2 of the white sky routers and both work with no probs. (not at the same time)