Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Slow connection?

This is a discussion on Slow connection? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I used to enjoy a good connection to my Max package, but in the last few weeks, opening web ...

snes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01784
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Slow connection?

Hi
      I used to enjoy a good connection to my Max package, but in the last few weeks, opening web pages etc has been painfully slow.
      As a solution, I moved to opendns, changing the dns addresses in XP, and this improved things for a while.
      However, things are starting to crawl again. When I go to the Netgear router status page, and try connection status, I find connection is down with a message about Negotiation saying something like LCP down.
      When I try the Sky Test button, (what does this do?) it no longer finds the PPoA connection.
      I have tried reboots, but this does little. Is this a Sky problem, or is my router slowly dying?
      Any suggestions gratefully received! Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Slow connection?

do you use an extention ? if so try a comparison from your "test" socket behind the face plate of your master socket (see first link in sig to show what a master socket looks like)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi
      I dont actually have an engineers socket - my connection was installed by BT (bless 'em) and is actually labelled ADSL. The other socket on this box is for a phone, which when the face plate is removed, actually plugs into what you might call the engineers test socket.

Interestingly, I did try plugging into this socket, via a filter, and could not get any connection at all. Perhaps it is just for phone traffic?

Is anyone else experiencing very slow web use? Is it just a case of too much traffic at this time of year? Certainly, my router and connection settings have stayed the same, just my internet experience has become frustratingly slow. That is why I thought maybe the router might be getting a bit flaky, but I have no solid evidence to back that up.

Which is why I am asking for your thoughts - there is so much experience on this forum.

PS - I have try the mtu optimiser - no difference.

Thanks

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Interestingly, I did try plugging into this socket, via a filter, and could not get any connection at all. Perhaps it is just for phone traffic?
      could you try the phone in this socket and see if it works ? if not you may have some strange wiring going on

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snes View Post
      This socket on the back of the master should be connected to your telephone line by BT and nothing else. The cable from outside / undergound / telegraph pole should be connected to 2 terminals labelled A & B on the back of the BT box but and you are not supposed to tamper with it.

All extension wiring should be connected to the removable faceplate bit, but if there is no dial tone or connection using the test socket it has been wired incorrectly which could well explain your problem.

If you get a dial tone or connection when plugged into the faceplate when it is unplugged from the master socket box then it is definitely wired wrongly and BT should correct it.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi
      I tried plugging the phone into this telephone socket - and found it worked perfectly.

So, feeling lucky, I tried once again to plug my router cable into this socket (via a filter) and my conection status box showed nothing.

I know this makes no sense at all - after all, the socket either works or it doesnt - but that is what is happening.

Any further advice?

Thanks again
      Rick

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

knackered filter? i also assume you're putting the modem in the modem side of the filter? (silly queston, but ive known people to use modem cable into a phone side of a filter!!)
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you have a dial up modem cable try pugging it directly into the Test socket, no filter, and the other end to your router. This should tell you if it is a filter problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi
      thanks for your help. Tested socket with 2 filters, one of which was new and unused. I can only guess that as this is a special BT adsl box, the telephone socket has been throttled down to only take talk traffic.

However, the reason for my op has now disappeared - web pages are loading at their normal speed again. I am pleased, but a tad puzzled. I cannot blame Sky, as I have transferred to opendns servers.

Thanks again.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

You got a BT-fitted ADSL faceplate splitter. The "phone" connection is only for telephones and old-style dial-up modems. An ADSL router/modem will definitely not work in it, even if you use a microfilter (because the signal has already been "split"). In fact, you shouldn't be using microfilters at all with one of those in place (although they won't do anything bad if you do).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast