Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Netgear Router - Help with TCP/UDP

This is a discussion on Sky Netgear Router - Help with TCP/UDP within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, OKay this is what I want to do, Reset the router to factory settings, and allow every TCP/UDP port ...

kpax88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky Netgear Router - Help with TCP/UDP

Hi,

OKay this is what I want to do,

Reset the router to factory settings, and allow every TCP/UDP port to come into my IP of 192.168.0.2 (not my other 2 computers)

Basically how do I do this? Netgear seem to tell me to open DMZ but when I run a program to check for a TCP/UDP port, it just isn't open.

Help please...

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Netgear Router - Help with TCP/UDP

Opening every port is a dangerous thing to do and I'd advise against doing it. You should only forward the ports that you absolutely have to, particularly if it's a Windows machine that you're putting in the DMZ.

As for the behaviour that you're seeing, there's two possibilities. Either you've got a software firewall blocking the incoming connections, or there just isn't anything listening on the port that you're testing.

Actually there's a third possibility, and that is that you're trying to test external access to your network from within your network. That doesn't work. Say for example, you external IP address is 90.200.164.1 and you have a server running on port 22 on a PC of yours which has the address 192.168.0.2 and you have port forwarding set up correctly. If you try to connect to 90.200.164.1 port 22, you won't get a connection, but if I try to connect to the same address and same port number, I'll get through. That's because I'm external to your network.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well thats what I would like to do,

I want to open every port on the sky netgear router and use a firewall (so I can manage it from my OS) How would I do this so?

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Well, there's two ways of doing it. Go to the router configuration pages at http://192.168.0.1 and click on the "Wan Setup" link in the Advanced section on the left-hand side of the page. Tick the box for the "Default DMZ Server" option and fill in the IP address of the PC you want in the DMZ, then click on the Apply button.

The other way of doing it is to go to the "Firewall Rules" link on the router configuration pages, and in the "Inbound Services" section, click on the Add button. For the Service setting, select "Any(ALL)", for Action select "ALLOW always" (the default option), and in the "Send to LAN Server" setting, type the IP address of the PC. Leave "Wan Users" as "Any" unless you want to restrict access, and if you don't want to log accesses, change the Log setting to "Never". Finally click on the Apply button on that screen, and again on the next screen.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

So what you want to do is turn of the router firewall for your PC only and leave it enabled for any others. Can't you do this by setting your Inbound firewall settings to Allow all for your IP and Block all the others? I am not sure, but wouldn't this do the same as opening all the ports?

It seems a bit risky to depend on a software firewall when you have a perfectly good one on the router, but that is up to you.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kpax88 View Post
      Well thats what I would like to do,

I want to open every port on the sky netgear router and use a firewall (so I can manage it from my OS) How would I do this so?
      Why on earth would you want to do that?!

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

Exchange:
      Thanks

Okay I have done that into my router with allowing DMZ on the local IP address I have... How would I be able to test this has been achieved?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      Opening every port is a dangerous thing to do and I'd advise against doing it. You should only forward the ports that you absolutely have to, particularly if it's a Windows machine that you're putting in the DMZ.

As for the behaviour that you're seeing, there's two possibilities. Either you've got a software firewall blocking the incoming connections, or there just isn't anything listening on the port that you're testing.

Actually there's a third possibility, and that is that you're trying to test external access to your network from within your network. That doesn't work. Say for example, you external IP address is 90.200.164.1 and you have a server running on port 22 on a PC of yours which has the address 192.168.0.2 and you have port forwarding set up correctly. If you try to connect to 90.200.164.1 port 22, you won't get a connection, but if I try to connect to the same address and same port number, I'll get through. That's because I'm external to your network.

Thank you! I got someone outside of my network to connect and this worked!! but I can't use the program I want to use locally... Is there a way around this?