Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

I Hate the new black routers

This is a discussion on I Hate the new black routers within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, I have had nothing but stupid sporadic problems with these new routers. I joined sky last weekend and ...

Impaler81 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Morecambe
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I Hate the new black routers

Hi all,

I have had nothing but stupid sporadic problems with these new routers. I joined sky last weekend and after a day of perfect performance wirelessy, i have had nothing but dropped connections on a very random basis.

Ethernet, works fine 100%.

Wireless, my PC can see the broadcasting network, but when i connect to it, it may work first time or it may not. If it works first time it will drop maybe 20 mins later, or 2 hours later.

When it disconnects, looking at the network management window in Vista, it shows connection to the router/network broadcast, but not to the internet - but if i disconnect, then try reconnecting to the network, it cant even find the broadcast. I then power cycle the router, all the above starts over again - might connect/might not etc...

I have messed with channels, hard resetting, tried with no security, tried with WEP instead of WPA etc; all giving the same weird results.

There is no interferance from anywhere else; it is well within range and above all, i never had this with my own netgear router in the 18 months I had it.

Im fairly technical when it comes tot his as I worked for an adsl tech dept. at an ISP a while back; I just cannot find one underlying factor that causes or prevents the above scenarios.

If anyone is close to hacking these routers so we can get our usernames and passwords please post ASAP!!! I want to bin this free piece of crap and use my own router!

Any advice appreciated!
      (oh and I installed latest drivers for my D-Link Airplus G DWL-G510 adapter)

I hate the fact Sky restrict you to their hardware yet can only confirm it will work 100% with their own adapter. Surely that can't be right!?!

Matt.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: I Hate the new black routers

just dont use wireless perhaps?.....not like its the best technology in the world now is it? lol

EDIT: OR run your other router as a wireless gateway if that works better...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: I Hate the new black routers

Quote Originally Posted by Impaler81 View Post
      I hate the fact Sky restrict you to their hardware yet can only confirm it will work 100% with their own adapter. Surely that can't be right!?!
      You're preaching to the converted. I know there are advantages in the locked-down router policy that Sky follows, but there's disadvantages too, as you and many other have found out. Why not just give out, on request and on the understanding they Sky won't be able to offer support, connection usernames and passwords to people that want to use different kit?

Anyway, until Sky come to their senses on this issue, have you tried re-orientating the router - standing it vertically if you've got it horizontally at the moment, or vice versa. It might make a difference, you never know.