Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Another user with connection drop outs

This is a discussion on Another user with connection drop outs within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi guys, I've been reading through this forum for a while now. Two weeks ago I started having problems with ...

psy
      psy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01207
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Another user with connection drop outs

Hi guys,

I've been reading through this forum for a while now. Two weeks ago I started having problems with my internet connection (Mid Package).

I'm using the white Netgear router supplied by Sky. The internet light & the '1' stay lit green, but after anywhere from 2 mins to 30 mins the PC can't access the internet & can no longer access the router (Which I find a bit odd seeing as the PC is plugged straight in to the back of it with a Cat6 RJ45 cable).

I've tried all the various suggestion on this forum, I've rang Sky, they did a line test (which involved them bumping the SNR up to 20db & reducing my speed from 8meg down to 4.5meg ) whilst plugged directly in to the test socket. They kept an eye on it for about 45 mins & it was fine... However I didn't use the internet on the PC at the time (as I was instructed by the tech guy). As soon as I go online the problems start again.

I've also got an Xbox360 using the router & that has no problem going online at all even when the PC can't see the router.

So in conclusion I'm set up like this...

Master socket - micro filter in test socket, then router. Cat 6 cable to PC (XP SP2) & Cat 6 cable to Xbox 360.

Any ideas? Does this sound like a router problem or a PC problem? Is forking out for a 3rd party router likey to make a difference? It's really doing my head in now like & if just getting a better router will fix it I'd do that just so I don't have keep faffing on with it.

Cheers,

Simon

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Another user with connection drop outs

Quote Originally Posted by psy View Post
      I've tried all the various suggestion on this forum
      Such as? Did that include turning off UPnP?

You didn't say how you get your connection back. Does it come back by itself or only when you reboot?

The description of your problem doesn't sound like a line/connection fault so getting capped by Sky won't have helped (why is that their answer to everything?). However, that can be undone later.

I'd say that the problem lies somewhere between your PC and the router. If you've already turned off UPnP and it's not the UPnP "bug" then look to problems with your ethernet card - check it is functioning correctly, isn't power managed and has the latest drivers available. If that's OK then look to something obscure such as a faulty ethernet cable (swap with the xbox one). Lastly, double check your IP settings to make sure their are no conflicts (choose "obtain an IP address automatically") and temporarily turn off any firewall you have in case that's interfering somehow.

psy
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the fast reply mate.

Aye, I've turned off the UPnP. I also have the wireless functions disabled has both devices on the network are wired to the router.

I've tried a couple different routers (for some reason Sky unexpectidly sent me another router a month after the first one), I've tried different cables & different microfliters.

The IP addresses should be fine. The router is 192.168.192.0.1, the PC is 192.168.192.0.2 & the xbox is 192.168.192.0.3

I'll check the network card tonight when I get in from work. To fix it sometimes just logging off & back to the PC will get me going again for 5 min. Sometimes I have to reboot the PC.

I'll report back with my findings tonight.

psy
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Right then - I checked the driver for my network card (a Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010). It had a generic driver from 2005 installed. I've downloaded & installed the laest driver from the Marvell website... So far *fingers* crossed it's not gone off.

So hopefully it's sorted. I'll leave running for a day or so before I work out how to lower the noise margin back down from 20db so I can get my speed back up a bit.

I was too busy messing on with router settings & master sockets that I never thought to check for a new ethernet driver.

Thanks Saturday,

Simon

psy
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Such as? Did that include turning off UPnP?

The description of your problem doesn't sound like a line/connection fault so getting capped by Sky won't have helped (why is that their answer to everything?). However, that can be undone later.
      The mognuts pages no longer has the ability to alter my noise margin. Any thoughts?

My current stat's screen shows...

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4608 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36.0 db 23.0 db
      Noise Margin 19.1 db 14.0 db

Exchange:
      Thanks

The mognuts pages no longer has the ability to alter my noise margin. Any thoughts?
      Yes, you've been capped. There's nothing you can do to get your router to over-ride this (reduce your noise margin/increase your sync). Only Sky can uncap you.

psy
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ahhh pants...

Well that sucks seeing how it wasn't a connection problem in the end, but a network card problem.

Would I be right in thinking there's nowt I can do about it? I used to connect at around 7000 no problem at all.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Would I be right in thinking there's nowt I can do about it?(
      Nothing you can do other than call them and ask them to lift the cap.