Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Improving my connection speed

This is a discussion on Improving my connection speed within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have been on the Sky Max package for several months now, however, I struggle to connect at over 4000 ...

mickdsmith is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Improving my connection speed

I have been on the Sky Max package for several months now, however, I struggle to connect at over 4000 kbps.

I understand that a lot can be down to the distance to the exchange, however, is there anything else I can try to increase the connection?

I also notice that quite often my internet gets slower and slower until I have to reboot the router.

For info, I connect from 2 computers via wireless (all netgear equipment @ 1 @ 54mbps one @108 mbps)

These are the stats from my router.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3776 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 60.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.5 db 11.0 db

Any help greatly appreciated.

Mick.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Improving my connection speed

Quote Originally Posted by mickdsmith View Post
      is there anything else I can try to increase the connection?
      Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the answer to your question is - no.

As you seem to realise, ADSL speed is dependent on line length and line quality. With an attenuation of 60db you have a long line and to connect at 3776kbps is exceptional (3000kbps would be typical). So you have an excellent quality line already so there's nothing to be done there.

With regard to your slowdown, that's most likely due to line error build up (this would show in your full router stats). Your choices at the moment are to live with it or to boost your noise margin to 10db+ which may help. Of course, the downside to this is that your sync speed will be lower. The good news is that the new Sky firmware is expected to cure or significantly reduce this problem. Hopefully it will be out in the next couple of weeks. If not then the New Year.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Improving my connection speed

For info, I connect from 2 computers via wireless (all netgear equipment @ 1 @ 54mbps one @108 mbps
      Connecting at 108 mbps will make no difference to the speed you get from the internet. It will be a long time before we get internet speeds like that. But it can have an effect on your other wireless connection, so if you are having any problems, it would be better running it at 54, the same as your other one. The only way it would be an advantage is if your other adapter was a 108 and you wanted to transfer files between the PCs. The files would transfer extremely quickly, almost as fast as a 100mb ethernet connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.