Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

sky router and power??

This is a discussion on sky router and power?? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hey, i use the supplied sky router, however i only turn it on at the mains when i go home. ...

RickyC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Salford
      Broadband ISP: Mid/JNET
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Post sky router and power??

hey,
      i use the supplied sky router, however i only turn it on at the mains when i go home. If the firmware is updated is this a problem. I wont be going home again for a month?

2. Advertisement
      Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: sky router and power??

I think, If you dont get the update when it is sent out, It will be stored on some DSLAM or something when you do turn it on..

So like when you do next turn it on, It will check to see if it is upto-date and then do what it needs to?

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The update isn't sent out to the routers, the routers pick it up from the update server. In other words, the update is pulled from Sky by the router, not pushed to the router by Sky. The update server is probably something like a modified web server, since the router appears to use HTTP to fetch the update.

Provided Sky keeps the update server running, the router should be able to update itself when you get back home and turn it on. In all honesty, I think it very, very unlikely that they'll only keep it running for a couple of weeks. The server, once switched on, will probably be kept on indefinitely.

miahm2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CLWAP
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      The update isn't sent out to the routers, the routers pick it up from the update server. In other words, the update is pulled from Sky by the router, not pushed to the router by Sky. The update server is probably something like a modified web server, since the router appears to use HTTP to fetch the update.....
      Thats what i was thinking
      "If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for"

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

So i assume that people that have flashed other non-official sky firmware on will get the new version?

But lets say someone deciedes to flash a new un-official sky firmware on after the update? Does this mean they are stuck with the one they have flashed or will they be just unable to flash another piece of firmware on?

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monday View Post
      So i assume that people that have flashed other non-official sky firmware on will get the new version?
      I would have thought not if the Sky firmware initiates the upgrade. Standard Netgear firmware will not be seeking a Sky upgrade!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

But lets say someone deciedes to flash a new un-official sky firmware on after the update?
      That is an interesting point! Will the new firmware be 'flashable' or will it be locked in some way to prevent an unofficial 'update'?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I suspect that people will still be able to use the Netgear Recovery Utility to reflash their router. The flash chip in the router is split into two sections, a small section containing the boot code and a larger section containing the main router code. When you do a flash update, it's only the larger section that gets updated, and when you use the Netgear Recovery Utility, it's the boot code that receives the new flash image.

Updating the boot section requires special programming, and if they had the foresight to write the existing firmware updater program so that it knew how to write to the boot section, you'd have thought they would also have had the foresight to modify the original boot code to prohibit the use of the Recovery Utility.

Hope that makes some kind of sense!