Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Seriously - what is happening with this new firmware?

This is a discussion on Seriously - what is happening with this new firmware? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hey guys, Im a recent new customer, and I was given one of the new routers. To put it lightly, ...

lordmuggins is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NINY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Seriously - what is happening with this new firmware?

Hey guys,

Im a recent new customer, and I was given one of the new routers. To put it lightly, we're having consistent problems with the wireless.. it doesn't send a signal out of the room it's in! We used to have another router which gave us a good signal around the house (same external aerial plugged in), and now with the Sky we're getting next to nothing.

So I've been reading up on the forums - and for months and months I'm hearing constant murmerings about this "new firmware", which has yet to come. There is only so long one can bare this, and I'm at the end of my tether - its getting ridiculous. I'm beginning to think its just a rumor to keep people happy...

To note, with the new firmware, does anyone know if we can use tools such as Mognuts to adjust the SNR? With my other router, I used to have a good sync of around 2800kbps with a d/s SNR of around 59-61.5. My noise margin was always around 9 with the old router.. so it was fine. With the sky router, I am getting a similar SNR, but syncing at around 1800-2000, with a d/s SNR of around 63.0-63.5, which is rather concerning. I've tried everything, but can't seem to get it down.

So, the solution was to use Mognuts utility and set the target SNR to around 0db. Ironically, with that, Im syncing at 2900-3000+ and its been stable for weeks.. and my margin stays around 4-6db. I've always had 'low' margins, yet even with a margin of 0.1 on my old router, it'd stay stable for days.. so its almost like its always been wrong.

Any ideas guys? The router is so bad we tried moving it to a more central location in the house, but using proper BT fitted extension cabling (engineer fitted), we suddenly only synced at 400.. it was a disaster, so needless to say its back to the master socket!

(Note, any way my line can be tweaked? Im due to move from Connect to Mid soon, and Im hearing about an increase of a db or 2 in the noise as a result, so I am particuarly concerned.)

Matt

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Seriously - what is happening with this new firmware?

The router is so bad we tried moving it to a more central location in the house, but using proper BT fitted extension cabling (engineer fitted), we suddenly only synced at 400.. it was a disaster, so needless to say its back to the master socket!
      have you checked the ring wire (Orange) you can disoconect this as the filters do th esame job

also is it one of the black/grey sky routers (not the old white one) as reports are that the wireless is better on these

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Old white netgear routers.

The problem is, that we have a faceplate filter plugged into the master socket. It doesn't have somewhere to plug in an extension? So we tried wiring the extension straight into the back of the master (where it comes in from outside); in an attempt to 'extend' the outdoors signal. Phone worked fine; just broadband was woeful..

Matt

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

sounds strange to me, as you have a filtered face plate you should be able to tun an extention from the ADSL part (did the engineer use the correct cable, I.e cat 5 and not telephone cable from the ADSL point?)

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

So I've been reading up on the forums - and for months and months I'm hearing constant murmerings about this "new firmware", which has yet to come. There is only so long one can bare this, and I'm at the end of my tether - its getting ridiculous. I'm beginning to think its just a rumor to keep people happy...
      The new FW if not here by 14th / 15th December will mean it will be New Year at the earliest as Easynet have a Network Freeze.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Sky TV:
      Thanks

And by New Year we mean anywhere from January to December 2008. Later preferred..

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The problem is, that we have a faceplate filter plugged into the master socket. It doesn't have somewhere to plug in an extension?
      I am a bit confused by this. If you have a filtered face plate it will have a socket for the ADSL and a socket for the phone, where you can plug in an extension if required. If you are using a Sky supplied filter plugged in to a standard face plate you will have the same sockets. If you connect an extension direct to the incoming wires you are bypassing the filter, so it is not surprising that you are having problems. This is illegal, by the way, any hardwired extensions should be connected to the faceplate, not inside as this part belongs to BT. Where was this connected to originally?

To note, with the new firmware, does anyone know if we can use tools such as Mognuts to adjust the SNR? With my other router,
      I understand that the present utilities will not work when the firmware is up graded.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.